The Families

chapter four: the families

You have been going on study sessions with Todoroki nearly every day except for when the two of you decide to get some extra sparring practice instead. Today you've worked side by side with him until the sun is long gone. He's now just copying your notes into his notebook, repeating some of the vocabulary terms aloud as he goes along.

While he reads to you, you begin to close your eyes. You let your head drop down onto his shoulder as your eyes begin to flutter shut. Todoroki's a bit shocked at your sudden gesture and you can feel him tense up and stop writing. He pauses for a few seconds, probably looking down at you in bewilderment that you actually fell asleep.

He then wraps his arm under your legs and the other under your back, standing up with you and walking you over to his bed where he lays you down. As he walks away you open your eyes and see that he's gone back to studying. You watch as he furrows his eyebrows together as though he's confused about whatever it is he's writing down before angrily erasing it. You smile softly to yourself at the cute scene playing out before you just before falling fast asleep.

The next morning you wake up to the sound of a loud phone ringtone. You bolt up from bed and watch as Todoroki does the same from the exact spot you left him in last night. He quickly scrambles around to find his phone and answers it quietly, only for it to be reciprocated by the loud, booming voice of a man on the other side.

"Shoto! I heard you lost to a new student at school! You should be showing them what the number one hero's son is capable of! What happened?!"

"Sorry father, but I'm still working hard to get better. There is still room for improvement and I'm working on that," Todoroki explains with a level head.

The man on the other side sighs. "My apologies, son. I didn't mean to lose my temper at you. It's just- I heard some of the other heroes having their go at our expense and I got upset..."

"It's okay. I'll talk to you later, I just woke up."

After saying their goodbyes, Todoroki hangs up the phone and looks over at you lazily, as though he was still half-asleep.

"That's one way to wake up in the morning," you grin as you meet his gaze.

Todoroki nods. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that. My father has a bit of a fiery temper just like his quirk, but he's trying," he admits with a shrug.

You swing your legs around the side of the bed and stretch. "I've got family problems, too, so you don't gotta tell me what that's like," you smile. "My parents are a couple of the people who've got big plans for my future."

"Me, too," Todoroki nods. "My dad wants me to be the number one hero once he retires."

"I wish mine was a cause as noble as that," you laugh. "Both my parents have the same quirk as me, just... not quite as powerful. They want me to get stronger so that someday I can produce one even stronger- a flawless version."

"So like an arranged quirk thing?" he inquires.

"Yep. That's why my boyfriend's got the same quirk as me," you reply.

Todoroki looks as though he's not quite sure what to say, but he listens carefully as you speak. When you finish, you give him a quick smile and begin to gather up your things.

"I don't really have a choice in what I do, but if I did maybe being a hero would actually be pretty cool. Besides, I'm already better than the number one hero's son," you tease.

However, I doubt my parents would actually let me put myself in the hero profession.

Todoroki smiles softly but looks sad. You hope you didn't offend him with that comment, but still, you stand up and get ready to depart. After saying your goodbyes, you walk out of the room and down the hall to your own dorm. After turning a corner, you find that your boyfriend is standing outside your door waiting for you with crossed arms.

"What're you doing here?" you smile, holding in the bit of fear that begins to make your hands shake. "You look super stalkery standing outside my door like that."

He doesn't move a single inch as you grab your key. But just as you're about to reach for the doorknob, he throws his arm out to the side, banging it against the wooden door and preventing you from getting past.

"Rai, seriously, someone's going to notice! Please don't be so loud," you beg.

"Where were you last night?" he whispers sternly.

"Can we go inside and talk about this? My friends live here, too, and they shouldn't have to hear this!" you reply.

Just then, you feel an arm reach around your neck. You look to the side and see Jirou hugging you with a frown on her face.

"She was with me," she says emotionlessly. She must be a really good liar... "Late night study session made us both pass out from boredom but Y/N was an absolute rockstar and is totally gonna pass that test of ours with flying colors!"

Rai stares Jirou down for a moment before letting go of the door. Jirou then passes over a familiar-looking pen to you. "Here, you left this on the ground when you left my room."

When you thank her, your boyfriend scoffs and walks off without another word. The two of you then walk into your room together.

"What was that?!" you ask in an excited whisper to the girl who just saved your ass.

"I might have kinda overheard what you and Todoroki were saying this morning, but you can thank my quirk and Todoroki's loud ringtone for that," she grins. "You know, you should do what makes you happy and follow your own path, not what other people wanted you to do. If I listened to what other people told me to do then we wouldn't be here right now."

"Man, I owe you big time," you sigh as you throw your arms around her neck and hug her tight.

"Don't mention it," she smiles as the two of you pull away from one another, "but I won't be far if you need more rescuing."

She then waves as she walks off and you let out a sigh of relief as your door closes you into your empty room where you can finally catch a breath.