The Quirk

chapter two: the quirk

After your second meeting with your boyfriend in a nearby janitor's closet, you fix yourself up and get mentally prepared to walk out. Since your boyfriend had already left, you wait a minute before taking your leave as well. Then, as you exit, you look to your left and right, only to gasp aloud when you see one of your classmates staring back at you. You curse to yourself but pray that he didn't see your boyfriend leave just a few moments ago. Smiling politely in his direction, you quickly walk off. Luckily, he doesn't say anything either or run after you as you make your escape.

A little while later you have your next class outside at the field for physical training. As you walk towards your classmates, you find the dual-haired man standing with a few others. You keep a distance between yourself and them, hoping to avoid any awkward confrontation if he actually did put two-and-two together. But then, Aizawa calls the class together and explains that the class will be sparring with one another.

I guess they'll find out about my quirk now, you sigh to yourself, hoping that they don't judge you for your quirk just like everyone else in your life. It was bound to happen eventually, you suppose, and it's not like you've got a bad quirk anyhow.

Aizawa then has everyone partner up. You stand still and look around the crowd, watching everyone begin to pair with one another. Just then, the single person that you were avoiding comes up to you with wide eyes.

"Hey," he smiles slightly as he stands before you.

You look around at first, seeing that most everyone else has paired up so damn quickly.

"Do you want to be partners?" he then continues, forcing your eyes to meet back with his.

"Sure," you reply, not really having a choice anyway.

You and he walk to a spot in the field where he introduces himself to you as Todoroki.

"Nice to meet you," you smile softly, thinking that perhaps he didn't see what really happened in the hallway.

"Begin!" Aizawa's voice tiredly calls out as he zips his head inside his sleeping bag.

Without so much as a warning, Todoroki blasts ice your way. You're forced to reflexively break right through it with your fist, sending a strike of lightning through the ice. There's then a loud crackling sound of the explosion and all of your classmates' heads turn towards you, including Aizawa's. They can all see the bright green lines like veins running from your stomach out to the arm you used to crush Todoroki's ice.

Todoroki simply smiles and continues his focus on the fight. This time, he sends a wave of fire in your direction. Not really knowing how to react, you quickly run out of the way to avoid it. And as you rush around, you spin to his backside and prepare your arm with a right hook. However, he quickly turns around and catches your fist just in time.

Dammit, if I hit him with a bolt of lightning I could have won right there.

"If you want to win, you're going to need to go full out," he tells you, causing you to narrow your eyes at him- there's no way you're going to take it easy on him from here on out. "Oh, and you shouldn't start with a right hook, that's kinda Bakugou's thing. Don't be so predictable."

You scoff as you back off of him. Your attention is then turned to the sound of small explosions where you find an angry-looking blond staring down Todoroki as if he was ready to kill him. But once your attention is brought back, you're just about ready to kill Todoroki yourself. You look around and notice the school's generator not too far away. You've got to get Todoroki in that direction.

Turning your back to the generator, you allow Todoroki to hit you with whatever he's got, unknowingly bringing him closer and closer to your trap. You easily slice through his ice and manipulate your way around his fire. Once you get him close to the generator, you place both your hands on the ground and emit a harsh pulse that causes the battery to short circuit and Todoroki to go flying. As for yourself, you zap yourself through the electrical line and come out on the other side of the field safely.

When you jump out, you notice that all the lights have gone out in the school and all of your classmates are staring at you with their mouths wide open. They all then slowly (and strangely enough at the same time) look over at how fried Todoroki looks. A few of them run over and help him stand. After assuring them that he's fine, he walks towards you and meets you in the middle of the training ground.

"Was that what you were looking for?" you ask proudly.

Todoroki nods. "That was fun. You're not half bad when you try."

"Not half bad? You just got electrocuted and you've got soot all over your face," you reply without a smile, yet knowing that you're beaming with excitement on the inside. You haven't had a sparring match like that in quite some time and it was quite fun.

You hold out your hand to Todoroki which he accepts and shakes. Everyone else then runs right up to you and bombards you with questions wondering how you did all of that.

"It's nothing, just my quirk, but that's pretty much all I can do," you admit to them.

"But your skin is glowing, that's not nothing!" Kaminari says, pointing to your arm.

You look down at your arms and see that you're still glowing a neon green, just like the color of your lightning. You chuckle at the funny look on your skin and Mina wraps her arm around your shoulder.

"It's going to be great having you around!" she proudly beams as though you've been her best friend all her life.

"Yeah," Sero laughs, "we'll finally have a useful lightning quirk now!"

"Hey!" Kaminari squeaks, his voice cracking in the process, causing the class to laugh and you to let out a small grin.

"Why don't we work together then?" you offer. "We could probably learn a thing or two from each other."

Kaminari's eyes light up and he gasps. "Hell yeah!"

You then look over at Todoroki who's just staring back at you with a blank expression. You can't quite tell what he's thinking, but you did shake hands so you assume the two of you are good. You hope so, at least, because you'd like to spar with him again sometime.