The New Girl

chapter one: the new girl

You never really had any plans or the drive to go to college. Perhaps if previous life decisions were altered then you never would have, but nevertheless, today is your first day at university. And it's not just any university either but UA, the best known, highly rated hero university in the entire country. Now typically they don't allow students in part the first semester of their first year, but they allowed you in halfway through the year due to special circumstances.

You take a deep breath as you look up from the paper in your hands that has guided you to your first classroom with its number written on it. You're already a few minutes late since you just had a quick meeting with the only other student that you know at the school. It's not quite how you wanted to start your first day, but it's too late to complain about it now- you made your choice.

Slowly, you put your hand on the door and slide it open only to see a man with a black manbun stare back at you with a tired, somewhat irritated expression. You then look across the room to find a class full of eyes landed directly on you.

"Class," the teacher begins to speak, taking only a few eyes off of you and back to him, "as I have previously mentioned, we have a new student joining us starting today. I hope you all will treat her with the same respect you have for each other... most of the time," he calls out, only to whisper when he gets to the last bit.

The teacher then introduces himself as Mr. Aizawa and offers you to pick any open seat. After thanking him, you walk between the narrow rows of chairs into the sea of strangers. You sit down a bit sad that the only person in the entire school that you know isn't in your class. It sucks that he's a year older.

Aizawa then begins to lecture about pretty much the basics of quirks that you assumed everybody already knew. You remain quiet during your time there, not really wanting to say too much about your quirk just yet so you keep your participation down to a zero.

That begin said, there's a lot of whispering in the classroom as many of the others try to talk to you. One girl with pink hair and skin passes a note onto the corner of your desk but you don't dare to even touch it. You've got no idea what it might say or do, after all, you are the new kid. It could be some kind of test- stuff like that always happened back in high school.

You hear another one of your new classmates laugh loudly when someone with a similar quirk as yours attempts to get your attention. However, you just continue to ignore them and take notes as best you can without begin distracted. If there's a test, you absolutely must do good. You can't fail after people went through so much trouble just to get you here.

TODOROKI'S P.O.V.

Throughout the entirety of the class, everybody tries to get Y/N's attention. I look quietly over at her between listening to Aizawa and hearing Bakugou laugh at people's failed attempts to talk to her. She's sitting next to me, though, so I'm able to look down at the notebook she's got her face practically buried in and see that she's writing down Aizawa's sentences without him even needing to finish it. This is complex stuff, if she's so smart why doesn't she say anything aloud? She must feel super awkward with everyone bothering her like that, especially since she doesn't know any of us.

But as the day continues and it becomes lunchtime, I sit with some of the others in the cafeteria and take note that she's sitting with someone just a little ways away.

"I wonder why Y/N won't sit with us?" Mina asks after looking over at Y/N and her friend. "We're her classmates, you know."

Bakugou scoffs. "Maybe it's because you assholes kept bothering her all day long!"

"We were not bothering her!" Kaminari comes to the defense. "We were just trying to get to know her, that's all!"

"Dude, you were the worst one of us all trying to get her attention," Sero remarks, shaking his head in disappointment.

"I was not!" Kaminari tenses up as he narrows his eyes at his friend.

"Anyway, anybody got a clue of who that guy is she's sitting with?" Jirou asks.

"He's super cute, ribbit," Tsuyu chimes in just before Mina and Yaoyorozu nod in agreement.

"That asshole? He's just a douchebag," Bakugou claims.

"You know him?" Kirishima inquires curiously.

"Yeah, he's a second year with an electricity-type quirk. We've sparred a few times and hate to break it to you losers but he's talked about having a girlfriend before," he huffs.

As the others continue to talk and ask Bakugou questions he's got no answers for, I notice Y/N and the guy beside her stand up. They leave the room with his hand low on her back which catches some of the others' attention.

"Yup, definitely dating," Jirou nods.

"Since when were you the dating expert?" Kaminari pouts.

"You're just jealous!" Sero laughs. "Chill out, you only just met her today."

"Excuse me," I say as I stand up from my seat. "I'll see you guys later, I need to use the bathroom."

A few of them wave while the others continue on talking about the new girl and her apparent boyfriend as I walk to dump out my trash and leave the cafeteria, heading towards the bathroom. But it's not until I leave and walk down the hallway that I see something I probably shouldn't have, leaving me a bit stunned.