Chapter 13

Kang Nari

Kang Nari

A soft pillow hit Nari on the face as she giggled. Picking the pillow up, she threw it back towards its original sender: Chu Ga-eul. A string of squeals was followed as the girls continued their pillow fight while Geum Jandi sulked by her window. 

"Ya, Geum Jandi!" Ga-eul called out to her, no longer able to handle the girl's constant sulking. 

The girls were at Geum Jandi's house. They decided to hang out there until dinner. The events of the day had been overwhelming for them all, so they decided that being in each other's company was much better than being alone. 

Nari's mind wandered back to the reaction of Butler Kim and the rest of the household as Ga-eul moved towards Jandi to try and coax her. Butler Kim had been appalled at the sight of state of Kang Nari. She looked like she had been in an extremely bad scuffle with someone: wounds dressed on her hands, her hair frizzed up and a mess, her face tired as if it had been aged a century. She was bombarded with questions as soon as Butler Kim picked her up from school earlier. Jandi had been with Nari at that moment and explained the entire situation with the F4 as Nari stood there, eyes facing the ground as she avoided eye contact. She was able to make out frown lines on Butler Kim's face even without looking him and she felt guilty for putting him through such worry. 

Jandi didn't know the details of what had gone down between Nari and Jun-pyo, just that they had argued, and that the argument escalated. Hence, Butler Kim got to know about only the broader picture through her. He found out about the details once they had gotten home as Nari filled him in on the details. Butler Kim's face was colder than the northern pole as he clenched his jaw in anger. The look he had on his face sent chills down Nari's spine. 

The next words he uttered still echoed in Nari's mind. 

"I will take care of it."  He had said. His ice-like voice made Nari anxious. 

What was he planning to do?

It isn't like Nari had any real power in the world. Whatever she had was from her family. She didn't work, she had no influence, no name, and no money to make any difference in her situation. If she did, she would have utilized it in the past when she needed the most. However, she was at her family's mercy at the moment. Even if she had no place among them, she was glad nonetheless that they cared enough to provide for not only her needs but her wants as well. 

Would Butler Kim reach out to her family?

That thought alone scared Nari out of her wits. She did not wish to get her family involved. She wished to a burden no more than she already was. She couldn't imagine the taunts of her stepmother as would get to know about her situation. Perhaps she would even take pleasure in it? 

Whatever Butler Kim was about to do, Nari could feel it deep within that it would end up changing everything. Whether for good or bad, she knew not. 

She let out an exasperated sigh as her brain raced through all the possibilities, good and bad. Her dreary sigh had caught the attention of the pair in the room. Ga-eul calling Nari's name brought her out of her thoughts.