Chapter 4

Kang Nari

Kang Nari

Kang Nari wondered if other people's families were like this too. Were other's parents also neglective of their children? Were other people's houses like hers too? 

Kang Nari lived in a big mansion. Alone. Nari had called it the 'Kang Mansion' though that was not the name of it. She had hoped adding her Kang would mean it would feel hers. 

She was wrong. 

She didn't live in a home. She lived in a hollow mansion without any memories. She lived in a cold mansion without the warmth of her family. She lived in big mansion, alone, surrounded by material things. 

She supposed there was a reason to this. Valid or not, that she can't say, but a reason, nonetheless. 

She was an illegitimate child after all. 

Hence the name, Kang Nari. Kang wasn't her father's last name; it was her mother's. This was why her records weren't available to the public. Her grandfather had ordered for everything about her to be hidden. No one knew who Nari's family was.

Were they even family? Weren't families supposed to live together? Weren't families supposed to love each other? At least, that's what she had seen in dramas and movies. Or were they lying?

Despite being surrounded by the warmest and the most expensive blankets, Kang Nari felt cold and alone as she laid in her bed. She wanted the warmth of a family. She wanted her mother to console her when she had an upsetting day, like she did today. She wanted her father to scold her when she made silly little mistakes. She wanted her grandfather to be proud of her when she achieved something. She wanted her half-brother to love her, to be protective of her. She wanted a sister to share all of her secrets with. And above all of that, Kang Nari just wanted to be acknowledged by them? She wanted to be acknowledged as a part of that family. She didn't want to be hidden away from the rest of the world like she was a dirty little secret.

A tear escaped Kang Nari's eye as her mind pondered over what her fault was. 

She felt a pang in her chest as she found it hard to breathe. She let out a chocked sob as she brought the blanket close to her face, imagining it was her mother she was hugging. Tears rolled from Kang Nari's eyes the way a stream does down a mountain, soaking her pillows and blanket. 

Was it worth it? Being rich and being surrounded by some of the finest things in the world yet being alone and scorned by your own family? Nari wondered if Geum Jandi, the scholarship student, felt the same way. How was her family? Despite not being rich, was she happy in life? Was she loved by those around her or was she as bitter about life as Kang Nari was? 

Kang Nari's sobs felt suffocated as she pressed her face into the mattress. Yeah, she was definitely having a mental breakdown at the moment, all the events of the day, all the bullying finally hitting her like a truck.