Chapter 8

A/N ... a ... triple ... update .... WHAT?! And I made a NEW COVER!! What do you think??

I wake up to someone standing over me, they're face close to mine.

And I scream.

"Your phone has been ringing for ten minutes," Rowan says, unfazed by my reaction.

"You cannot wake me up like that," I hiss. "I could have had a heart attack! Or you could have gotten a black eye."

Rowan shrugs before walking out of the spare bedroom that I feel asleep in last night. Or was it this morning? Either way, I know without a doubt that it is Forrest who is calling me.

With an exaggerated groan, I roll of out the bed very un-ladylike. Rowan kindly loaned me some clothes last night, but with his large stature the clothes practically drown me. I tie the strings of the pajama pants tighter and pull the shirt up to cover my shoulder before exiting the room.

My phone is still going off in the living room, but I ignore it as I instead scoop up my clothes and shoes. I cover them with a jacket, promising to return it to him shortly. I grab my cell phone and swipe Rowan's coffee mug out of his hand to take a large gulp before leaving.

Note to self, don't drink Rowan's coffee.

I swallow the bitter, sugarless coffee as I leave with a haphazard goodbye to the other super.

"Hello," I answer breathlessly as another call comes in. I'm hurrying down the stairs instead of using the elevator in the hope that I wont run into anyone.

Boy, was I wrong.

I make it to the third floor before running head first into my brother and his best friend.

Their apartment is on the fourth floor, so they are walking up as I'm running down. With my luck, I know I should have just flown off the roof.

Kingsley is staring at me with some unknown emotion in his eyes, like he's trying to put two and two together, and I wonder if he's figured out my identity since last night.

"Oh, hey," I try to say casually into the phone that I am still holding. Forrest is also holding his phone, but lowers it slowly as he takes in my appearance.

His mouth is hanging open, like he can't believe I could possibly be in his apartment staircase in another man's clothes.

Okay, it sounds bad when you put it that way.

Forrest's expression shifts into one of anger, something I've never seen on him. Ever. He is always cool, calm, and collected.

His jaw flexes, like he's grinding his teeth, and his eyes narrow menacingly. "Come here," he growls lowly before grabbing my upper arm in a vice grip.

"Ow," I cry out as he holds it too tight. He doesn't let go as he turns me around to drag me up the stairs. I stumble behind him, trying to get close enough to relieve the pressure he's applying on my shoulder. "Forrest!"

"Shut up."

I gape at the side of his head. He has never spoken to me this way.

We exit the stair case onto his floor and he practically pushes me inside the apartment once the door is open. He starts to drag me toward his room, but I dig my heels in, attempting to stop him. "Forrest, you are hurting me."

"Get in the room," he snaps with another rough tug of my arm. We are both engaging our super strength to resist each other, and deep down I know he is stronger than me. He always has been.