7. Cold for dummies

Ben and Rook were patrolling the city in the Proto-TRUK, the boy's eyes glowing bright green. He was bored, there wasn't much to do these days so he decided to browse the Omnitrix data. Much like when he was a kid and tried combinations to unlock new things. The difference was that now he had free access to commands and DNA, but that didn't mean he knew them all.

—Rook! The Omnitrix also has the Kraaho's DNA, can you believe it?

—I didn't expect Azmuth to put Kraaho DNA in the Omnitrix. Depending on the location it might not be very favorable to transform into one.

—What do you mean by that,—Ben's eyes returned to normal and he looked at Rook— It would be great to be able to stretch like rubber, my opponents won't be able to get close before I hit them.

—I don't mean their combat skills. Remember their species needs to be at very high temperatures to survive?

—Just think of the look on Ester's face! It would be priceless.

—And you're not listening anymore—Rook parked himself to make sure his friend was paying attention— Ben this is serious, your body and the Omnitrix could be affected. Promise me you won't turn into Kraaho to fight—The revonnahgander looked very insistent so the boy folded his arms feigning defeat in the argument.

—Fine, you win. What a killjoy.

After a couple of laps around Bellwood they arrived at the neighborhood Ester frequented to play with the kineceleran kids, and there she was. Ben thought this would be the perfect opportunity to surprise her.

—I think I'll go hang out with Ester and the others. It doesn't look like there's going to be any trouble today, I'll see you later at the barracks.

—Don't forget what we talked about— After saying goodbye to his friend, the boy got out of the vehicle and ran to the others while his companion left the place. Since he had returned to Earth, Rook was keeping a much closer eye on him at his grandfather's request, however he didn't like the idea of seeing Ben in trouble related to the Omnitrix either.

—Ester!—The hero greeted the Kraaho girl.

—Ben, what a surprise to see you here. No hero business to attend to?

—Nah. It seems even my enemies are taking a vacation from trying to destroy me.

—Well you're just in time, we were one player short for us all to play "Ball Up"— A game Ben had never heard of but it would be the perfect opportunity to surprise Ester.

The game consisted of catching the ball before the opponent, they were one-on-one matches and any method, except violence, was valid to get it before the opponent.

Two by two the others passed until it was Ester and Ben's turn.

—What alien form do you plan to use to lose?

—I don't think you've seen me before with what I plan to use, and I don't plan to lose.

—You won't be able to catch it before me anyway— she said confidently, but continued to look at him curiously.

One of the small kineceleran came with the ball and stood in the middle of the two. After a countdown he threw the ball as high as he could, staying several meters above them.

Ester concentrated solely on the ball, stretched her legs to gain height and then her right arm. Just as she was about to reach for it another hand reached out in front of her. She ran her eyes along the arm until she reached the culprit. A Kraaho, about her age, that she had never seen before was standing a short distance away from her, he had risen in the same way.