3. A glitch, a misunderstanding and a smoothie

NO ONE POV

—I can't believe you drank the smoothie I brought for Ben!— She snapped back at her boyfriend as she got off the ship.

—Gwen, wait!— Kevin got off the ship in search of the girl— I already told you I'm sorry.

—It's not me you owe an apology to— she said, turning to the boy and crossing her arms. —We haven't visited Ben in months. Knowing him, Galvan Prime's food must be driving him crazy if he isn't already.

At that moment an explosion inside the building distracted them from their discussion. Looking in its direction they could see smoke coming from one of the windows on the upper floors. A blonde girl fell from the explosion, Kevin rushed to catch her before she hit the ground.

—Eunice?!— They both yelled as they recognized the girl.

—Oh! Hi guys! It's not exactly the best time for a visit but could you help me?

—I thought a visit to Galvan Prime would be boring, but I'm glad I was wrong— The half Osmosian set Eunice down and absorbed the concrete preparing to fight —Well? Who is after the little guy this time?

Eunice was about to respond when something else fell from the building. A figure engulfed in flames landed in front of them.

—I think you already have your answer Kevin.— Gwen's hands began to glow

—Wait!— Eunice called their attention before they could attack— That's Ben, he's having a glitch!—The flames around the figure died away revealing a boy with half a face covered in charred rock.

—Something like a failure? Normally when the Omnitrix failed it wouldn't let Ben transform or just give him random aliens, but he never failed in such a visible way.— Gwen said with concern on her face.

—Well, Tennyson wasn't fused to the watch before. What happened for him to be in that state?

—Two additional threats have been detected. Adjusting DNA— The voice coming from the Omnitrix called the attention of those present, Ben began to change shape, the burnt rock began to fall and disappear. A part of his body began to transform into a green slime, after a while the boy was unable to stand and fell to the ground. It looked as if part of his body had been melted into green lava. His friends couldn't hide their shocked faces.

— Failure to use polymorph DNA, trying again—This time crystals began to cover much of his face and both arms as the green goo disappeared. Ben stood up and took a step forward. A row of sharp crystals formed from his feet to his friends. Kevin dodged the attack while Gwen defended herself and Eunice with a barrier.

—Questions for later, now we have to find a way to stop him without hurting him. Ben, can you hear me? It's me, Gwen!— Ben walked in her direction, his eyes glowed red and his face reflected pain. He walked as if he was in a trance. He raised his arms ready to shoot but before the boy could, Kevin punched him with his sledgehammer arm sending him crashing into the wall. Gwen looked at the boy in annoyance.

—What? I didn't hit him so hard— Kevin smiled and raised his arms.

—We have to get him back to his core form. That way the Omnitrix's defense system will be deactivated.

—You mean deactivate Ben? There's no other way?— The girl felt terrible about having to treat her cousin like a machine.

—It's the best we can do. If he keeps this up he'll attack continuously until the threats, us, are eliminated. I need him pinned down for a moment so I can get closer to his neck.

The half-Diamondhead boy came out of the wall and walked towards his friends. Gwen grabbed Ben's feet using mana bindings preventing him from continuing walking, Kevin stopped him in his tracks by grabbing his arms. Eunice took the opportunity and jumped on Ben's back, despite his resistance, the girl pressed the switch in the right sequence.