Chapter 25

Me and Anna run through the forest the branches snatching at our clothes and hair. "How do we destroy the dam?" Anna asks, panting lightly.

I think for a moment before an idea comes to mind. I grab Anna's hand and begin pulling her in a new direction, "This way! I have an idea!" I shout over my shoulder. 

With newfound determination, we sprint faster through the forest. We break through the tree line next to the river. Anna gasps as she sees the snoring earth giants. 

I begin towards the edge but Anna pulls me back. 

"Are you sure about this?" She asks quietly.

"Anna, we have to take down that dam. It's the only way to set things right." I explain.

Anna nods her head, "Then I'm with you."

I smile thanks before turning towards the giants. "Wake up!" I shout. The giants only snort louder. "Wake up!" This time it's Anna who shouts but the giants merely stir in their sleep. Me and Anna share a look before both taking a breath in sync, "WAKE UP!!"

The giant in front of us groans and stumbles as it wakes to attempt to stand. It stumbles a bit and lands on another sleeping giant before getting shoved to the side of the river again. This time it sees us and glares. It begins to get up again.

"That's it." I nod, "Come and get us!" Me and Anna turn and run, "Come on!" I shout over my shoulder. Behind us I see its hand slam on the ground where we were standing moments before. 

We keep running not daring to look back. We just got to get them to the dam. I see the shadows of three giants standing above the treetops. I hear one roar and the trees are blown aside by the force. The force knocks both me and Anna off our feet. 

I quickly push myself back to my feet along with Anna and continue running, "That's it! This way!" I shout.

One of the giants slams a fist down on the ground right behind us causing the ground to shake. A second later a boulder flies over our heads. We duck down and gasp. We stand up right and look at the destruction caused by the single boulder. 

"That'll work." Anna comments.

"Indeed it will." I agree. 

"This way guys!" Anna shouts waving her arms and running towards the left. I follow after her. 

We keep running the giant's steps rattling the ground behind us. One steps way to close for comfort and the shockwave sends us stumbling forward a bit. We barely have time to recover before another step sends us sprawling almost on our hands and knees. My heart is pounding in my ears. A third step finally sends us both sprawling in the leaves unable to get up and run in time. 

"AaaAaah Aah Ah!" I sing loudly and Gale responds lifting us both out of the giant's step but there's a second crushing step coming quickly. We try to crawl out of the way when suddenly I see Kristoff and Sven running by. Kristoff grabs Anna and hauls her up, I call on Gale and they lift me onto the back of Sven quickly and easily. I breathe deeply and exhale in relief as we get farther from the giants. 

"Kristoff!" Anna exclaims.

"I'm here. What do you need?" He asks.

"To get to the dam!" Anna explains.

"You got it!" Kristoff says and Sven begins running faster. 

"Thank you!" I say. 

The giants throw more rocks and trees at us but Sven effortlessly dodges them. Under the cover of thick treetops, we're able to lose the giants for now. We arrive quickly at the wall of the dam. Gale lifts me up as Anna jumps and grabs the ledge. I grab her hands as Kristoff pushes her feet. 

"We'll meet you around!" Kristoff shouts from the bottom.

I pull Anna up and she pauses at the sight of something behind me. I turn to see the five Arendellian soldiers poised with their shields up and their swords drawn, blocking us from reaching the dam.

"Lieutenant Mattias," Anna says out of breath. 

"Your Highnesses, what are you doing?" He asks.

"The dam must fall," I explain. "It's the only way to break the mist and free the forest."

"But we've sworn to protect Arendelle at all costs," Mattias says.

"Arendelle has no future until we make this right. King Runeard betrayed everyone." Anna says stepping forward.

"How do you know that?" Mattias asks.

"Elsa gave her life for the truth," I say stepping up behind Anna. "Please. Before we lose anyone else." A thin layer of tears coat my bottom lid but none fall. 

Lieutenant Mattias sighs before inhaling deeply and raising his shield high. He begins banging his sword against the shield creating a loud noise to attract the earth giants. The other soldiers soon join in. 

Me and Anna look behind us at the giants who stop looking and turn their heads towards the dam. We sprint through the soldiers and onto the dam. The giants begin throwing their boulders. The soldiers dive out of the way to avoid getting hit. Me and Anna reach the middle of the dam before turning to shout at the giants.

"Destroy the dam!" I shout.

"Come on! Throw your boulders!" Anna shouts as well. 

We watch as a few big boulders soar through the air and land on the dam a few feet in front of us. So much for going back. Me and Anna begin sprinting across the dam trying to reach the other side but a huge boulder lands in front of us destroying the path to safety. 

I grab Anna's arm before she can fall and pull her back away from the edge. Another rock is about to land on us. "Come on!" I shout to Anna and we begin running back the way we came hoping to be able to jump the gap. Behind us I feel the dam begin to give out and crumble as we run. The gap in front of us grows as more of the dam falls. The giants have stopped throwing the rocks. 

We both stumble a bit as more of the dam shifts. "Jump!" I shout as we near the edge. We jump in sync and reach for the other ledge but I know it's not enough. I see Kristoff grab Anna's hand. Mattias is next to him reaching for my hand. I close my eyes and reach, praying for a miracle.

But my fingers touch nothing but air. 

I open my eyes in panic as I begin falling with the dam. I reach out for Gale but my mind is screaming so many different thoughts that it doesn't work. The wind whips my hair around my face as I fall through stone and water. Faintly I hear someone screaming my name. It must be Anna. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper before my body hits the cold water. I shiver violently as the waves throw me around. I try to get my bearings but I'm tossed around like a rag doll under the raging water. My head hits a large piece of debris before everything goes dark.