Brawl

"So you are seriously not going to invite me to the party," Jason said, pouting.
"No babes, my sister hates you, there's no way she would be happy seeing you at her child's birthday party". She replied
"I know she dislikes me, but when did grow to hate?", Jason asked jokingly.
"Jason pls don't start" Mariah warned.
"Am just saying, since she wants you there you can leverage on that and invite me"
" No way I'm doing that, babe".
" I just want to be your companion at the party, I don't want anyone asking you out ,just because you are alone at a party" He said shrugging.
" I won't be there alone, Kel is coming to the party" Mariah said, reassuring him.
"So you'll rather have Kel over than me", Jason asked disgustedly.
"Babe, Mariah said facing him, Kel was my sister's neighbor even before we became friends, so it's only right if he is invited".
"Whatever, Jason said, waving his hand, I don't want you talking to any guy or giving them your contact" he warned.
"Fine, '' she replied, ''let's pack, I need to leave soon".
"Why do I have to go home though?I can stay here, you will be back by Sunday right? Jason asked.
"No Babe, no way", Mariah said dismissing him. "I don't want to think about your welfare while I am at my sister's place please".
"You can give me my feeding allowance, I can manage alone" he said pouting.
"I don't have money Jason, you know my boss is yet to pay last month's salary, we are living off my savings and there's not much left".
"Just a little babe, maybe three to five thousand Naira, trust me, I can manage", he said, holding her hands in an effort to convince her.
"No". Mariah said, dismissing him.
"Okay two thousand naira then, pleaseeee, I don't want to go home, please babe".
"Jason, go home, there's no way I'm splitting my last four thousand Naira with you". "You do realize that I will pay for transport to work next week right?, how do you expect me to cope?". She asked angrily.
"You can ask Kel for money, he always comes through". He suggested.
"Does he?". Mariah asked, folding her hands and glaring at him.
"Yes he does". "All you have to do is ask?.
" Just listen to yourself Jason,you soundstupid ?"
"babe, of course I feel awkward telling you to ask your friends for money, but you know me, if I had money I wouldn't have asked you, besides, I hate going home, I have to rely on my parents for every penny" he said putting his hand on Mariah's shoulders in a pleading manner.

"Yea! Like you rely on me for every penny" Mariah thought.

" I'm not asking Kel for a dime, don't forget I asked him for money last week, which I used to pay for your textbooks, I'm not turning to a beggar on your behalf. She said, with finality.
"I'm not asking you to turn to a beggar Mariah, all I am asking is feeding money for the days that you will be absent, nothing much.
"maybe if you stop Gambling, you would be able to save from the allowance I give you".
"I don't gamble, I bet on soccer teams, that's different", he said fuming.
" It's the same,'' she said, zipping her bag, and heading towards the door.
"I'm not asking you to steal or do anything illegal, he's your friend, he should be able to help you when you ask", he said quietly.

Mariah paused mid stride, biting back the urge to tell him what a loser he was. She wanted to tell him where the money, furniture and goodies she praises Kel for, truly came from. She wanted to tell him a whole lot of things but she bit her tongue until she could taste the blood.

"Jason, I'm not dropping anything aside five hundred naira for your transport back to your parents house, you can either go home with the money or stay back here and starve, the choice is yours",she said politely but angrily.
"why are you acting this way, what's wrong with you? Jason asked, shocked at the tone of her voice.
"Nothing, just pack up quickly, I'm late".
" you're late?, "Isn't the party until Saturday?"Jason asked.
"I mean I'm late to my sister's house, I told her I will arrive before 12:00pm and it's past 1pm already". She replied.
"You don't have to go early, you know?", he said, holding her waist. "You can go in the evening, let's stay back a little bit, ''you can even go on the day of the party".
"I think I will leave you here, whenever you are ready, you can go home". Mariah said, grabbing her phone and purse from the bed.

"Why are you in such a hurry to leave, is there something you are not telling me" Jason asked angrily.
"I don't want to stay here", she retorted.
"But I like staying here, as long as you are here this place is comfortable for me"
"I like staying with you babe, but I have to go, okay". Mariah said slowly, smiling at him.
"Okay babe, I love you" Jason said pulling Mariah's face in for a kiss.
"Love you too, get you bag it's time to leave".

Jason zipped picked up his bag and left the room leaving mariah to lock up. They both walked hand in hand to the bus station and boarded a bus to their destination.

"Marryyyy", Khloe Mariah's niece yelled running to welcome her, immediately she entered her sister's leaving room.
"Aww my baby, Mariah lifted her niece off her feet, how are you?".
"Fine, did you bring something for me?", Khloe asked.
"Of course, I brought something for my favorite niece, just hold on, let me get it from my bag," Mariah said, putting her down.

She unzipped her bag and brought out a dress and brand-less doll which she handed over to her niece.

"Thanks Marry, Khloe said, jumping.
"You're welcome Koko", she replied, tucking Khloe's hair behind her ear.

"Is this your 12 o'clock?" May, Mariah's sister asked her when she walked into the bedroom to greet her.
"Blame it on traffic", Mariah lied. " How is the plan going?"she asked.
"Fine, my husband sent the caterer part payment today, so she can go to the market to get the required cooking stuff" May said.
"Who's the chef?". Mariah asked, sitting on the armchair close to the dresser.
"The restaurant chef of course".
"I thought as much, please don't tell me she is the person baking the cake too?"
"Nayyy, I got a different caterer to do that", I'm not risking it". May said laughing.
"True, if not there's going to be a cake disaster, '' Mariah said laughing.
"Where is Phil?", Mariah asked.
"He went to Brown's place," May said nonchalantly
"He's still gambling?" Mariah asked her quietly.
"Well at least he wins sometimes, he won that glass table in the living room". May said.
"Well I hope he doesn't gamble Koko's school fees away again," Mariah said, rolling her eyes.
"How is work?'' May asked her sister, changing the topic.
"Annoying, the company is yet to pay last month's salary" I'm thinking of quitting". Mariah said, solemnly.
"Not paying salaries is a general disease in both the private and public sector, the grass ain't greener elsewhere", May advised.
"It's not just the non-payment of salary, I'm planning on moving out, my rent expires in three months and I don't want to renew it.
"Hmm, okay.
" I have sent a couple of applications out, I just hope I get called for an interview soon".

Mariah's phone rang, interrupting her discussion with May.

"Hey, what's up?" Mariah said, speaking into the phone.
"Okay, I will be there in five minutes, bye". She hung up