Chapter 16

Central Calendar November 20, 1639

Third Foreign Affairs Department, Esthirant, Empire of Parpaldia

The Sios diplomat watches in disbelief as the diplomat from the United States manages to get in without so much as an appointment. The clerk didn't even ask them to make an appointment. It is as if they were allowed to walk right in.

"This is outrageous! Why is he, a diplomat from a nation also outside of civilized areas allowed to walk in while I can't!" said the clearly pissed Sios diplomat to Raita.

"'Uncouth barbarians,'" Raita uttered, trying to get the diplomat to leave, then she realized that the man was still at her desk. "'Do you even realize who that man is?'"

"Judging by the fact that he is here, he is from a nation outside of civilization, or in your terms…a barbarian, just like me. Why is he getting special treatment?" the diplomat from Sios said.

"'A barbarian just like you? Hah! You ignorant barbarians. He is a diplomat from the United States of America. I hope you do know who the Americans are,'" Raita said.

"That newly established state? What's so special about them?" the Sios diplomat asked, somewhat ignorantly.

Raita sighed. "'This is why I called you ignorant. Could your country's military have taken on Louria at their peak without suffering casualties?'" she asked. The Sios diplomat was silent. Louria was the strongest uncivilized nation on Rodenius. Sios would not have been able to win a war against Louria without suffering heavy casualties.

"'Louria at least had guns. Do you have guns? And what about your ships, are they tall as a mountain with heavy firepower and could move without wind? The Americans could build such ships, what about Sios?'" Raita continued asking in quick succession. The Sios diplomat was still silent.

"'As I expected. Go back to waiting your turn, barbarian. And if you try to start another ruckus, I'll have to reschedule your meeting again,'" Raita told the Sios diplomat. Dejectedly, the Sios diplomat walked back to his seat and waited.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"The United States wants to set up an embassy in Esthirant? That could be arranged. If you allow us to open an embassy in New Washington of course,"" the Parpaldian diplomat said. ""Is that all you're here to discuss?"

""Not quite, our government wishes to sign a mutual defense treaty with the Empire. That way, there will be peace in this region for a few years at least."" Paul said.

The Parpaldian thought for a while. Usually, any such proposition would be laughed at and ridiculed. However, the department has strict orders to not even antagonize the Americans.

On their magic televisions, they see footage of the American ships entering harbor. The escort ship was extremely impressive. Not only is it completely made of iron, it was clearly capable of long-distance travel without the need of sails. Even a layman would not be stupid enough to see that tge Americans are not to be messed with.

"Unfortunately, I would have to discuss with my superiors regarding such matters," the Parpaldian said.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Kaios' Office, Third Foreign Affairs Department, Esthirant, Empire of Parpaldia

"They asked for what?" Kaios asked. He wasn't sure he heard the diplomat right.

""A mutual defense treaty, sir. I told them that I would have to discuss this matter with you because this is not normal circumstances,"" the diplomat said.