Chapter 27 "Try not get into too much trouble"

Needless to say i was one of the last people to show up, but that doesn't mean no one looked at the girl running late. Or maybe that wasn't the reason. All of a sudden i felt like everyone was staring at my scars, even though most of the werewolf population were in front of me, not behind me where they actually could see. My main focus other than how much of an idiot i was for choosing this dress was to not fall on my face. So far so good.

I clutched the wrap closer to me than i had ever held anything ever before, turning my knuckles whiter than the clouds. My hand had started shaking i was squeezing so hard, or perhaps that was nerves, not that i was nervous - i do not get nervous. Do I?

Miraculously, i cleared the stairs without incident. Physical incident that is. Emotionally I was in tatters.

At the bottom of the stairs I took a shaky breath. Evidently i seemed to have been denying myself oxygen the whole way down.

"Alex." Hunter greeted me rather quickly. He must have been responsible for one of those pairs of eyes watching me in my descent. "Phil, Frieda, this is Alex." He held his hand out to a middle aged couple in front of us. "Alex, Phil and Frieda are the alpha couple of the moonlight forest pack." I may never have heard of the pack but they looked like alphas. Felt like it too. They were both dressed in expensive looking clothes and jewels. A bit of over kill if you ask me. We get it, you're wealthy. No need to flaunt it.

"How nice." I commented with a tight smile.

"Do excuse us a moment." They both nodded and I felt Hunter arm snake around my back to guide me away. With my new numb feeling I decided not to stop him.

In less than a few hours I would be gone anyway.

We wandered away from the couple and worked our was around. Hunter spoke just loud enough for me to hear him over the calm music playing through the room. "Can I just tell you, Alex, you look absolutely beautiful." I could hear his smile.

"Thank you, alpha."I muttered absentmindedly.

"Alpha? I'm almost afraid to ask but is something bothering you?" I shook my head trying to pull myself back to reality. Now was time for me to start paying attention. If Hunter got suspicious I didn't stand a chance of getting out.

"No. No, not at all. It's just..." In attempt to avoid explaining, well, anything, I changed the subject to the first thing that came to mind. "How was everything in Luke's report?"

"He said that he believes they reached the pack in time. The rogues are yet to attack and they are prepared. They will stick around for a few days and wait for the attack." I nodded before Hunter continued. I guess he wasn't ready for the conversation to end. It's almost understandable considering I was starting to understand the connection Hunter had with his mate. I grew distracted as he spoke. Without noticing, I started looking for Leon. I wanted to see if he was okay after everything that I did. "The pack is safe, the rogues will be taken care of... and I was thinking why not start a circus? You can be a clown, how about it?"

"Uh sure." I agreed. My eyes finally landed on him. He looked okay, waitering in his shirt and tie. And he smiled. A lot. He seemed over it. Over me. My chest ached. I thought he... Forget it. Now I can go with fewer loose ends. This is a good thing, right?

"Leon... " Hunter said following my eye line. I quickly turned to him, started. Damn it! Caught already. "Is this about Maddie?" I nodded quickly. He handed me an escape route. How could I not grab it with both hands. "If it helps I told Noel that he has no right to Maddie. She was removed from his pack when Leon was banished."

I think my heart almost stopped. I had never really spoken to Leon about what happened. Not in depth. Should I ask? Should I not? But Leon didn't tell me. Maybe he doesn't want me to know. But then again here Hunter with the full story.