11

——

——

today. was a special day.

today was the day I lost, her. I know I'm kind of rough around the edges, but after she left. Things changed, and I wasn't in the mood for anything today.

my eyes were swollen, my eye bags visible, my cheek had splotches from the tears streaming down my face, and my lips quivering and beat up from chewing on it.

I used my thumb the wipe the tears away, and ambled inside the school building. The moment Sona saw my face, her face formed with sorrow and that just made me want to punch a wall.

I didn't want pity, at least. Not every year. I made it to my locker, heeseung putting his stuff right next to me. Locker buddies, hah.

heeseung stared at me, eyes happy to now soft and confused. On a day like this, it was usually the weekend, it has been for the past 3 years, it just happened to be on a Monday this year.

"joy, what happened to you. You're all red, you're eyes are.." heeseung cupped my face, checking each side in worry while examining my splotches.

I yanked his arm away, "leave me alone lee, please." my tone, grim, and hard, like a brick wall that could never be broken.

in fact, I didn't want to be at school at all. So you know what? I walked out of that building, sona and sunoo sighed. "this day was always tough on her, every year."

"what happened with joy? Why was she crying?" heeseung approached the two, bombarding them with numerous questions.

"today's the date, that joy lost a special person. It's been 4 years, and every year on this day she just locks her self up, and it leads up to a week until she loosens up again, it's just so hard to see her like that. But there isn't much we can do, she doesn't want her space to be invaded." sunoo patted Heeseung's back before making it to class.

"what do you mean lost? You mean they passed away right?"

they nodded, "we'll catch you later, we have class now." they siblings both waved.

——

heeseung left school, searching for joy in places he hoped to find her. But he failed at every attempt, the last place he could think of was the newest place.

The one he newly introduced to joy.

he ran as fast as he could to make it there, and when he did. She was there, leaning against the walls of the tunnel.

"jang jia." he called her name, but the only thing her mouth was able to emit was low whimpers, sniffling dispersing through the tunnels, and you could hear the echoes clearly.

"what the hell do you want." she screamed to the top of her lung, her throating burning from the pressure of her voice, and the sobbing grew louder.

heeseung flinched at the action, he crouched down and sat in front of her. Pulling her into his embrace, "why do you have to lock yourself up like that? Hmm?" his eyes trailed down at her.

he felt her arms wrap against him, and she buried her head into his chest and he just caressed her.

"heeseung I can't, I can't do this every year. It's too hard." her voice cracked, though she was seen as stone harded shell, she's been cracked open and inside was something soft and delicate.

"then don't, I'm here."

——