Chapter Eleven: Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer

(Roman)

Darkness surrounds us when Aiden and I get back after our hunt and I shift back from my wolf form. I grab my clothes getting dressed as he does the same. We were gone for a few hours and it felt good to be away. Freeing from the overwhelming thoughts that seem to consume me; day and night.

It doesn't matter how much time has gone by my anger for what happened in the past hasn't subsided. If anything the more time that passes makes me hate myself for all the years I spent with someone like Thackery. He was pathetic and weak. He wasn't worthy to be my mate and I can't help but wonder if it was a cruel joke placed on me by the universe.

A sick joke I don't find funny when our families have a history that can never be forgotten and I won't let it be forgotten. I'll do whatever it takes to get back at them for what they took away from me. "What's wrong?" Aiden asks immediately all over me and I wish he wasn't.

"Nothing just thinking," I tell him as I avoid staring into his amber eyes as he stands in front of me.

"I told you I'll do whatever you want to help you make them pay for what they did to your family," he replies and I know he would.

Aiden was the first person to approach me when I first arrived. He welcomed me to the pack and we've found ourselves, friends. More than friends as time has gone by.

***

"Roman please?" Sammy pleads as he grabs my arm as I avoid his eyes.

He thinks he can make me change my mind, make me stay but it's not going to happen. "No! I said it's over! I can't take it! I can't be with someone I can never have a child with because it will always be lost before it has the chance." I say pulling my arm away from him as I storm out of the room.

I hurry out of the house reaching for my phone in my pocket as I hit call. I wait for him to answer as I walk out of the house with my bag over my shoulder. "And here I thought you never wanted to speak to me again."

"You were right," I say into the phone.

"About?" Drew asks on the other end.

"I should have rejected him back then," I reply not surprised to hear the I told you so reply.

"It took you long enough." he retorts, "So what are you planning on doing?"

"I'm coming to stay with you and dad," I answer, seeing as I don't have any other option. I haven't spoken to Drew or my dad in years. I'm surprised Drew answered my call.

"I think we have room for you here," he says and honestly I can care less where here is as long as it's miles away from here.

"Text me the address and I'll be there tonight," I say as the front door opens behind me and footsteps are approaching.

I turn around anger coursing through me after I told Sammy I wanted nothing to do with him and now he's- "Roman?" Uncle Ben says standing before me. "Are you sure this is what you want? To leave to live with your brother and dad? To give up on everything because you can't control your anger for something you've known all these years?" he reminds me of the child Sammy lost during the New Year I haven't stopped thinking about.

"I already rejected him as my mate." I say bitter at him thinking he can convince me otherwise. "I've made up my mind. I can't be with someone as worthless as him. We don't belong together and nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise."