×43×

Warm air from the sea was carried up alongside the mountain range and cooled where it was blown through all the cracks and valleys. It made it much colder than the surrounding areas.

The almost icy breeze seeped through the Count Alvore's clothes, but he did not move. He stood in place peering over the cliff down below.

His behaviour had been strange ever since he had departed from the Waisend Estate. The man was clearly troubled.

Sorin watched his father from the cover of the carriage. He was beginning to get concerned.

The Count had ordered that they take another route back to the capital from the Port Town of Canterbre on reasoning as it being less busy.

They took the mountain pass. Not many travelled this route but in good weather, it was actually quite enjoyable as it was very scenic.

Sorin unfortunately could not fully enjoy the scenery or fresh air for he had work that needed to be done. So even in the bouncy carriage, he had documents and books open working through them at a steady pace.

The Count was supposed to be working as well but he was too distracted and lost in thought so his eldest was left with the tedious task.

Sorin had a vague idea of why his father was so out of it. Afterall he too had heard the singing that day at the Waisend estate.

Many years ago, when he was around the age of fifteen, he would often hear the beautiful voice of his youngest sister filling the quiet halls as she sang for the Count.

He knew just how much her voice would sooth the Count and Sorin had to admit her voice truly was magnificent for such a little girl.

Unfortunately, Sorin was never particularly fond of Erica and not just for the reason that she clearly was the Count's favourite. There was much more to it.

There was a seven-year difference between the oldest and youngest Alvore child. Sorin was old enough to sense and understand the distressed atmosphere that clung to his mother when they met Erica for the first time.

His father had been stoic while he held a baby in his arms. The little girl was barely a few days old.

The Count had been gone for close to a year, he had traveled across the seas to a distant kingdom on orders on behalf of King Alwin to form a new trade agreement. He returned both successful and with an illegitimate child.

Nothing was ever revealed on who the mother was, the Count only declared that Erica was now part of the Alvore family and the Countess would be her new mother.

The Count may have not loved his Countess but that did not mean she did not love him. She had fallen in love with him on the night that they had officially consummated their marriage, it was the first time she had seen him properly without her veil covering her eyes.

The Countess had completely given her heart to him and believed that although he did not love her, he would never betray her.

She had wanted to go with him on his journey, but she was still weak after giving birth to Sibyl when he had to depart. That and she had two young boys to look after.

Every day while he was gone the Countess waited patiently for his return. She was looking forward to it. The Alvore family needed to be together again.

Sorin too was looking forward to seeing his father again, he was looking forward to seeing his mother happily standing at the Count's side again.

Most children are generally known to be sensitive towards others' emotions more so when it involves a close parental figure. Sorin in particular had grown sensitive to his mother's emotions from spending so much time with her.