×5×

The next day passed by like any other. Erica tried her best not to think about the festival that Georgie wanted to take her to.

When the sun had begun its slow decent below the horizon, Erica sat anxiously waiting in her room.

She had initially planned to somehow inform Georgie that she could not go. She had even gone to the extent of writing down all the reasons why this was a bad idea. She clutched the page in her hand and nervously waited for Georgie's expected arrival. Her one leg was bouncing frantically.

Georgie in all her grace appeared not long after. She had changed out of her uncomfortable uniform and now wore a simple lime green dress. It was pretty.

"Oh no!" She exclaimed startling Erica. "I'm sorry but there is no way you can go to the festival wearing that. I won't allow it."

Georgie moved quickly before Erica could stop her. She raided Erica's small cupboard and draws, digging through them like a child on a sugar high.

"This will work!"  She proudly held up one of Sibyl's old day dresses, more specifically the one that Erica retrieved yesterday.

Georgie shoved it into her arms causing Erica to drop the page in her hand. Noticing this Georgie reached down to pick it up, she read the first sentence, frowned, and crumpled it up chucking it to the side.

"I'm not having any of that bad energy. Sorry Erica." She half-heartedly apologised turning her attention soon after to find shoes.

Erica sat wide eyed with the dress in hand. What just happened?

Georgie was back a minute later carrying a pair of worn shoes. Seeing that Erica had not moved, she shoved her up and forced her to change behind the screen.

When Erica came out, Georgie helped her tighten her dress and sat her down in front of the mirror where she began braiding her hair.

When she was done, she looked at Erica with a satisfied smile. Erica did not see it for she was to focused on her reflection in the mirror. Her expression was blank and unreadable.

"You look gorgeous do not worry. Now we better get a move on if we want to make it to the Summer Festival in time." Georgie ushered Erica to her feet and out the door.

The next step was to leave the estate. Something Erica was extremely nervous about. Georgie noticed this and gave her a side smile before grabbing her hand and rushing her down towards the servant quarters.

Georgie was right. There were about no servants present and those that were paid no mind to them. A few more twists and turns lead them outside towards a small, secluded servant gate. There stood an elderly guard chatting to another servant girl who wished to pass through. After checking a document and stamping it, he allowed her out. It took everything for Erica not to freeze up.

"Ah if it isn't Ms Georgie and it seems you have brought a friend with you this time." The guard gave what appeared to be a friendly smile.

"Good evening, Billy. We wish to pass through and enjoy the festival tonight." Georgie replied. She too giving a friendly smile.

Billy looked them up and down paying closer attention to Erica. He looked back at Georgie when she cleared her throat and handed him two documents which she had just pulled out.

Billy took them, reading over everything before stamping it. When he gave them back, he was slightly reluctant to let go.

"You should be careful Georgie. I'm not stupid." Billy warned softly in her ear.

Georgie gave an eye smile and secretly handed him a small coin pouch. She had come prepared. She had a feeling her forged document for Erica would not completely do the trick. Billy was an irritatingly observant old man. Brilliant at his job and that is why he had managed to keep it for so many years.

"Be a darling and keep quiet about this would you?" Georgie whispered back.

"Only for you since you asked me so nicely." He smiled seemingly happy with the small bribe. He stepped back and opened the gate allowing them to pass.

Erica had missed the conversation but from what she had seen she had an idea. Eyeing Georgie's carefree demeanour she decided not to give it another thought.

When they arrived at the festival, it was more spectacular than Erica ever imagined. She had assumed that it would have been a small gathering with a few stores and lights, but this was the complete opposite.

Music was loudly playing all about, people were dancing and laughing, lanterns lit up the area in hundreds of unusual colours influenced by the ribbons hanging all over, food and gift stalls lined the streets, and the bustling joyous energy could be felt all over.

Upon entering the festival, everyone was handed a full-face mask to honour those who worked hard in the fields for the good harvest. Georgie helped Erica put hers on after she had put her own on. Erica wanted to laugh; they looked a little silly.

Without a second thought Georgie grabbed Erica and pulled her over to the temporary dance floor. She could not stand seeing Erica so stiff and planned to have her loosen up.

A dance was about to start. It was a festive dance native to the kingdom's lower classes. It was fast paced and performed with a large group. At first Erica was out of place, she did not know the steps but soon enough she picked it up. The dance itself was simple. Erica started to really enjoy it so much so that she danced a few more dances.

By the time she had stepped out to take a breather, she was exhausted. Georgie however was still bustling with energy.

"Are you alright?" She chuckled as she walked up to Erica. Erica smiled under the mask and gave a nod.

"Tell you what, here is some money," she pulled out a few coins to hand to Erica, "take it and go enjoy yourself, let us meet up again right here in an hour."

Before Erica could even decline, Georgie had disappeared like a ghost into the crowd. Erica did not want to spend Georgie's hard-earned money, she would feel beyond awful if she did. Opting to give it back to her, she headed into the crowd to find her.

After about twenty minutes of searching, she gave up. It would be better if she just waited for her at the place where she said they would meet up again.

She started making her way back and at that moment Erica spot her. Georgie was passionately kissing a stranger. Georgie had her mask off completely but the man she was kissing had only lifted his enough to kiss her.

Innocent Erica's cheeks lit up in embarrassment. She could not believe Georgie would do something so bold and in public of course. Erica had read her fair share of juicy romantic tales but to actually encounter something of the sort was a completely different matter in her opinion.

Making the fast decision to leave her be, Erica scurried off. She was to busy trying to calm herself and had not noticed that she had gone in the opposite of the meet up point. She was now in a quieter area of the festival. There were no stalls and only one or two people wondering about.

Erica sat down on the nearest bench trying to gather her thoughts and not think about what she had just witnessed when she heard something. There was a painful groan nearby.

"Ah fuck..." The voiced groaned again. It was male.

Wondering over to it in curiosity, Erica was shocked to find a man leaning up against a wall with his eyes tightly shut clutching his side. He looked like he was in a lot of pain.