×6×

"You don't understand my pain," a voice wailed, "I'm telling you she is the one."

He had been going at this for the past few days. Thankfully for the duration of that time he was not with his cousin but unfortunately now the poor crying man dramatically draped himself over one of the couches and just about rang his cousin's ears off.

"If she really was the so called one, why did she reject you Louis?" his cousin muttered from the other couch across from him trying so desperately not to throw the book he was reading at him.

"That I do not know, but Al you have to help me!" Louis hopped up and ran to his cousin's side clutching his arm in desperation.

"How am I supposed to help you exactly when she has nothing to do with me," he yanked his arm away, "Walter is the one you should be asking." he rolled his eyes and went back to reading.

"Walter is the one you should be asking what exactly?" Speak of the devil and he shall appear. The young commander himself walked in. A playful smile on his lips.

Upon his entrance Louis had shot up from his cousin's side and just about pounced on Walter. Walter who was expecting this was more than ready to dodge him.

"Walt," Louis nagged trying to do puppy eyes at him, "Pretty please help a dear friend out?"

Walter gave him a disgusted look and playfully shoved him to the side. A clear rejection to any request Louis may have.

"Arg! You and your sister are just the same." Louis grumbled dramatically, "both rejecting me so heartlessly."

Walter stared at the man and tried his hardest to keep a straight face. Louis was renowned for falling hopelessly in love with any beautiful woman and it seems this time he had fallen for Sibyl. Walter had a strong feeling that the idiot must have proposed to her within seconds of laying his eyes on her.

"I don't get it!" Louis started wailing again, "what more could a girl want, I have status, power, money and even these brilliant looks!"

Walter could not keep it in anymore. He started laughing. Truth be told Louis did have those things. He was after all the next in line for the title of Duke and a royal at that.

Louis was the academic type. He could barely handle a sword let alone run a few metres without complaining and panting like a dog. He was not fat or anything, rather lacking in muscle if one were to judge.

Most young ladies wished for a strong man, a protector. True, a noble status of high standing played a major role as well and in many cases was all that was needed.

Louis had this but unfortunately he never really got out much and attended social gatherings and when he did, he was usually with his cousin Aleric. Almost all of the women in their social circles had their sharp eyes solely focused on Aleric and not necessarily Louis.

Aleric was after all the crown prince. He was also seen as somewhat of a mystery. The only social gatherings he attended were those that were compulsory. He tended to avoid all the others. This resulted in not many knowing his face.

When he did attend, he would only converse with the higher nobles directly mostly regarding politics or only his cousin Louis and Walter. Because of this many women would desperately try anything to be noticed by the beautiful man.

Most would flock to Louis or Walter when they would get the chance, both Louis and Walter were quite used to this and mostly stuck with Aleric to avoid it.

It was during the most recent social gathering that Louis had met Sibyl. The first time he had laid his eyes on her, he had been enchanted. She was dancing with a partner, her movements so perfect, so delicate and exquisite.