×41×

For the past three nights near the centre of the Port Town of Canterbre, a devastatingly beautiful sound could be heard filling the streets with its captivating presence.

Rumours quickly began surfacing. High fetched stories were brought to light of legends and myths surrounding the voice that could only be heard around midnight while the town slept.

Stories of a siren who tempted the unsuspecting souls to the water luring them to their inevitable deaths seemed to be the most popular. Those who did not believe where quick to change when they heard it.

In just three nights, half the town was already enchanted by the bewitching voice. Many had tried to find its source yet were unable to do so as it always led to them running in circles as the sound bounced off the walls of the tall buildings and always stopped if they got to close.

Erica had been exercising her singing voice more and more each night but unfortunately Ron had restricted her from overusing it as it was still in the process of healing. She was only allowed one song a day until her voice was strong enough.

Ron had felt horrible about this as he knew how much joy singing brought to her, but it had to be done. After the day that she had sung at the Waisend estate and hummed all the way back, she had broken into a coughing fit and her voice became very raspy and frail. It had taken numerous bitter medicinal tonics just to recover it.

As much as Erica loved singing, she was still slightly insecure of her voice and singing around others so now that she had a choice as to when she wanted to sing, she always chose a time when she knew hardly anyone would hear her. This allowed her to express herself as loudly as she wanted.

It is a strange thing to sing at night or rather just to do anything that makes a noise. It always seems much louder, even the slightest movements. Perhaps the reason as to why everything is amplified at night could be due to the lack of surrounding noises and the calm air. It is quite remarkable.

Erica's voice was thus easily carried more so than it ever would be during the day. Erica was aware of this, but she could not help herself.

She was careful not to let her guard down and would stop whenever she heard or noticed people approaching. She believed that they would laugh at her and tell her to stop making such a ruckus so late at night. This was something she could not bear to let happen; it would crush her already broken heart that had hardly even begun to heal.

It just so happened that these rumours slowly made their way into the Waisend estate, brought in by the young knights and servants. It was not until until they were met by the ears of the Waisend family.

The Duke of Waisend had unfortunately been too busy and distracted to look for the mysterious girl who had sung for his children on the day of his wife's accident but when little Edith heard one of the maids talking, she rushed off to find her parents.

The Duke was having tea with his Duchess when the little girl come running in.

"Mother! Father! What is a siren?"

"Slow down Edith and come sit over here." The Duchess smiled and beckoned her daughter over to her side.

Edith gave a cheesy smile and plonked herself on the chair next to her mother.

"Why do you want to know what a siren is little one?" The Duke passed the Duchess a cup of tea before pouring his own and offering Edith a little piece of carrot cake.

"Um... The maids said there is a siren in town." Her eyes were now completely locked in on the cake that her father had just given her.

"Is that so?" The Duke playfully raised an eyebrow.