×30×

At exactly seventeen minutes past seven that night the monastery bells chimed. Their strong ring could be heard throughout the capital city.

It was all that could be heard for each of the ten chimes. The message had been clear.

The bells only ever rang more than once during a royal wedding, a royal coronation or the death of a royal family member.

Three for a royal wedding.

Five for a royal coronation.

Ten for the death of a royal.

A sombre silence filled the halls of the Palace. Most were either shocked or greatly saddened by the news.

The soft footsteps were all that could be heard as the Crown Prince slowly made his way out from his father's bedchambers. His face was completely expressionless, and his hands were tightly fisted to prevent them from trembling.

When he got to his room, he sat on the edge of his bed and bent over fisting his hair. He let out a quivering breath as the first tear unknowing fell.

He had breakfast with his father, the King, just that morning. His father seemed perfectly fine. He had joked with him while they chatted about as usual before heading their separate ways for the day.

When the Palace guards found Aleric with Erica earlier, he was shocked to be informed that his father had collapsed. The Prince had rushed to the Palace to find his father resting in his bed with the Court Physician at his side checking his vitals.

King Alwin looked exhausted. His body looked weak and tired. It looked as if he had aged more than a decade within a few hours.

The Court Physician informed the young prince that the king was suffering heart problems and major chest pains. There was nothing much that the physician could do, he could only treat some of the symptoms such as the nausea and dizziness.

The King died exactly three hours after his collapse. He passed away with his son at his side for his final moments.

He apologised to Aleric for not spending more time with him and guiding him, he apologised for not being able to see his son become king and have many children of his own someday.

He knew that Aleric would make a great king. He was proud of his son, and he wanted the boy to know that. He gave his hand a gentle squeeze before closing his eyes one last time.

King Alwin did not want to die but he knew that his time had come to an end and accepted it. He fully embraced his death.

He, for the first time in a long time felt completely at peace. He joined his beloved Queen, Aleric's deceased mother, in the afterlife.

Alone in his room, Aleric cried that night. He hated how weak he felt. He knew the kingdom would now look to him for strength in this time of loss of a great ruler. He needed to be strong but in this moment, he felt completely vulnerable, and grief stricken. He was relieved that no one could see him in this state.

Prince Aleric had lost his mother at a young age, when he was to little to fully understand what death meant. The Queen's death had majorly affected King Alwin, but he would not let it show. The king put everything in his being to raise the young boy and not neglect his royal duties. It took a lot of strength and he often felt like he could not do it, but he always pushed on.

Prince Aleric knew that he was no way near the man his father was. He felt crushed by his responsibilities and the expectations his people would now have of him. He was not ready to be King.

He always knew that he would become King one day, but he believed that his father would be at his side when that day would come to guide him. Now his father was no more, his father had left this world. It hurt him. It hurt Prince Aleric so much.

He could no longer talk to him, he could no longer hear his warm words and receive many a scolding and lectures from the man when he did wrong, he could no longer hear his father's hearty laugh or listen to his painfully boring speeches...

He could no longer see his father and make new memories with him, instead he was left with the now old memories, the joyful ones, the sad ones, the angry ones and all the others. These were memories that he would always treasure, and it hurt, it hurt so much...

The Duke of Trencent was one of the first to receive the news of the King's death. He held his Duchess in his arms as they shared a moment of silence while the mourned his death. Louis was informed moments after when his father approached him.

Louis was too shocked to think clearly but he knew he needed to find his cousin. He knew Aleric would be alone. Aleric was in need of support; he needed his family more than ever in this moment.

Louis rushed to the Palace at lightning speed. The guards couldn't stop him as he barged into the prince's chambers. If it weren't for his close relationship with the prince, he would most likely be severely punished for such act.

Louis's sudden appearance startled the Prince as he tried his best to hide his vulnerable state. Louis knew.

He slowly approached his cousin and sat next to him. Nothing was said, but his presence was more than comforting for the prince. He was not alone. He had support.

It did not take Louis more than three seconds before he completely bawled his eyes out. He loved his uncle and it hurt that he had passed on but seeing his strong cousin who he secretly looked up to in such a vulnerable state with blood shot eyes was the final pushing point.

Louis was an ugly crier. He was all snotty and sniffy when he finally calmed down a bit. Aleric would have teased him if it weren't for the current situation.

They were like women huddled up all teary and emotional. They were both supposed to be men, they were supposed to be strong and reliable but here they were shedding tears, but Aleric and Louis especially did not care for someone extremely important in their lives had passed on...

From this day forward, Prince Aleric's life would be completely different, and he was relieved that he had his overly emotional cousin by his side. Aleric felt that he could get through this, it would be hard, and the pain was still very strong, but he was not alone...