Chapter 6

Soon it was evening and I started my car to see that Boss and his driver  were standing near his car and was on phone with someone

Soon it was evening and I started my car to see that Boss and his driver  were standing near his car and was on phone with someone. Looks like they are having a problem with their care, so to know the problem I got down and walked towards them.

" Any problem boss?"

Abhik " my car is not starting and today only I sent Sunny (his bodyguard)home early".

"Ohh...then I can drop you home".

Abhik " Hey it's ok... another car is on way... don't take trouble."

" There is no trouble, and I insist. It will atleast take 25-30 mins for the car to reach".

After little persuasion Boss accepted my offer. Asking his driver to reach home by cab, he  placed few notes in his driver's pocket and took his coat and laptop bag from car.

Shortly we started our drive. I was just driving silently and even it looked like boss was busy in his own thoughts and we crossed an icecream parlour which had very good memories of mine and him. I remembered those days just like they happened yesterday.

Flashback continuation :

On the first day I just got familiar with my surroundings and read few files. After having lunch I came to my cabin and re-arranged the files and few books in the shelves.Thinking to buy something for cabin making it more of my personal I listed few items.

Slowly like that my 1st week was going good in the company. By second week real work started which involved so many talks and calls with Mr.Abhik. By the end of the month we became pretty close and it was nearing the month end so our CEO's retirement is approaching and Abhik has  to takeover the place. Coming Monday is the official date where in a meeting it will be officially declared that Mr.Abhik as CEO followed by lunch. I will be present there and it's making me nervous.

On Monday I reached office to check last minute arrangements in conference room. Everyone reached on time and meeting went smoothly except for one board of director who was looking unhappy with the ongoing changes. Shrugging the thought I congratulated Mr Abhik. On that day we both were in the office soughting few things and by the time we realised it was 7 in the evening. I dropped a message to my mom saying that I will be a little late.

Abhik ordered pizzas and we both completed and started home.

Abhik "Let me drop you".

"That's not needed, I will take a cab".

"Hey you stayed for my sake even when when you didn't need to. Let me drop you atleast. It's already past 9 and I won't be in peace till you reach home. It's better if I drop you on my own".

Weighing pros and cons I said ok to him.

We soon started and there was complete silence in the car. Suddenly I saw a icecream parlour and I just had sudden craving to have some. I'm on periods 4th day but still I wanted to have it but I can't say to him.

Sighing I turned my face otherside. Suddenly the car came to halt making me look at him questioningly.

Abhik " Let's treat ourselves with icecream for the hardwork we done".

Nodding at him I was already near the parlour ready to attack.

Abhik came after parking the car laughing at my side. Smiling sheepishly at him we both went inside to order our icecreams.

I ordered myself cookies n cream while he ordered choclate. Waiting for our orders we started talking casually.

Abhik" You know di just got engaged and marriage date is finalized after 1 month. And again the days will be busy with marriage works and office".

" Hmm..so how is it to be younger one in the family?"

Abhik," It's good actually... I was naughty as a kid and whenever some mishap happened in the home everyone use confirm with me first. They used to be pretty confident that I did those things".

Laughing at his childhood mischief we ate our icecreams enjoying little talks here and there.

At last he dropped me home and waited till I reached my main door.

Flashback ends for now.

It has been 4 years to memories. Many things changed between us.There used to be n number of talks but now it's only silence. I know I am one at the fault. Few things are not in our hands, they just happen even without our consent. Relationships are fragile and small crack may disturb whole foundation of it. With those past moments revolving in my mind we reached Boss's home and I stopped the car.

It has been 5 mins but he is not even trying to get down the car.

" Boss we reached"

Abhik ," I know but answer my one question. What really happened between us. We used to be so close outside our work space. We became best buddies within short time. But now it's like we don't even know eachother. The only interactions we have is about work. Where the dhriti who never shuts her mouth in front of me, Where is that Abhik who used to greet his buddy with a smile on his face , where is he who used to share everything with her related to work or personal life. I know you faced alot in those short span of days but still when will you be like this. Stopping interactions with people, keeping everything to yourself. I really don't want to discuss who's right and who is wrong but I want my old dhriti who poured full bucket of water on me when I made her work overtime , the one who used to come near me with silly problems, the one I used to go with my rantings.
Can you give me the person back?"

Without waiting he got down from the car and I started to home.