Chapter 12

"Amma. Papa," Vandana called in shock.

"So it is true?" Her father asked. "What the neighbours have been telling us. That you are living with a man."

Vandana was flustered for a second but she did not back away. She did not find any fault in what was accused. She was used to western culture. "First of all, I am not living with a guy," she said. "even if I were. So what?"

"So what? So what??" Her father stepped into the house. "This is not the USA..."

"Not my fault that people here are conservative and regressive," Vandana said. She had always stood up to her parents. And her parents were far better than Ananth's mother.

"Wait a second... why does this boy seem so familiar?" Her father turned to Ananth.

"Eh..." Ananth did not know what to say.

"It's Ananth," Vandana said. "The guy you took me away from fifteen years back."

"What?" This was her mother.

Vandana explained the situation to her angry and confused parents. In the end, her father sat down on the couch. "So what are your plans?" He asked Ananth.

"Pardon me, sir?" Ananth could not register that it was he who Vandana's father was talking to.

"I asked, what your plans are? You want to marry her or what?"

"Oh!... I do. I mean, With your blessings, I would like to... ask her hand in marriage?" He was doing this for the first time and he was not good at it. Besides, he just woke up and had not even brushed his teeth yet. Asking for someone's hand in marriage was not something you do the first thing in the morning.

Vandana was looking at this exchange with wonder. She did not expect her parents to be okay with the situation.

"Papa... You are...Okay with this? You like him?" Vandana asked confused.

"We want you to settle down. And you refuse to get married. Now you are with a boy. Why won't we agree? We just want you to get married. We are getting old. We want to see you settle down."

"But he is Hindu," She reminded her parents.

"When was the last time you went to church? It is not like you are so religious... And nowadays marrying someone from another religion or country is common. We were thinking you will marry that awful Russian guy. At least with this boy, we can communicate in our language."

Vandna was still stunned and confused that her parent agreed to their union simply like this. Later when Ananth was leaving she walked him outside.

"Ah... I was so scared," Ananth moved a hand through his face.

"I totally did not expect this."

"By the way, who is the Russian guy you were going to marry?"

"Who? Evan? I was dating him for a while." She said. "But I won't marry him."

"Why?" Ananth asked, sounding honestly curious.

"You sound as if you want me to marry Evan."

"I want you to marry me. I have not heard a reply to that still. Now that your parents have agreed, can't you give me your reply so I can proceed."

"Do you think your mother will ever agree?"

"No. She is stubborn. Will take time to break her." He thought. His mother was selfish. All her life she got things to go her way. But in the end, he was her son. "I can go on a hunger strike if she goes on one too." He said.