Chapter 2

"Nice photos, Ananth..." Jaseena suddenly said. Ananth looked up. "Your Engagement Photos. Just saw it on Facebook." She explained.

"Oh, thanks..." He said. He casually played with the gold engagement ring on his finger. He was feeling nervous. Because Vandana was standing near Jaseena looking at the photos on her computer. "The girl also works in Technopark, right? Which company?" Jaseena asked.

Ananth told her the company name. He had just posted his engagement photos on Facebook. His engagement was a few days before Vandana joined COMM. "Beautiful bride," Jaseena commented. Ananth nodded politely. His eyes nervously looked at Vandana. But she smiled at him. "Congrats," she said.

"Thanks," he said. It's all in the past – he reminded himself. It does not matter what they both did in the past. If they eloped together or he almost died... it was all in the past.

He tried to concentrate on his work.

Vandana did not really care about Ananth's engagement. She had no feelings left for him anymore. She has dated a few guys in the US, but nothing serious and long-lasting. She was practical to the core now and she was happy for Ananth and his engagement. She was slowly coming to terms with even the fact that Ananth and she now worked together.

That first day she had got a lot flustered. She came home, called Mekha and told her everything. And Mehka was delighted to know that Ananth worked with her and sad to know that Ananth was already getting married.

"It would be so good if you two can be together again," Mekha had said.

"No thanks," Vandana said, rolling her eyes.

"But why? What if he was not engaged?"

"Then also... no thanks," Vandana said, putting on her earrings. "I don't want to see his mother ever again..."

"Oh..."

She hated whatever happened back then and did not want anything to do with Ananth or his family anymore. He was the last thing she needed in her life.

***

Ananth was working on the mobile app even after coming home, and his mother began complaining that Ananth is not calling Shruthi often. He looked up from his laptop, "What?" He asked, irritated.

"You should be calling Shruthi."

"I have work."

"You always have work. You should be talking to her often. Why don't you take her for a movie sometime?"

"Are you serious?" He asked. Is this his mother who went so far as to go on a hunger strike because he was dating Vandana? The mother who... "I'll call her later." He said, looking back at the laptop.

"You like her, don't you?" His mother asked with doubt.

"What is not to like?" He said disinterestedly. Just then his skype blinked and he got a message from Vandana. 'I have sent you the designs. Pls, check'. He stared at her profile picture. She was standing at a place where it was snowing. She was wearing a woollen cap and had a bright smile on her face. She looked really happy. Ananth smiled at the photo; he was glad that she had a happy life.

***

A few days later Girish has arranged a company dinner for everyone. Ananth had already arrived, and he was waiting with Karthik when his mobile rang. It was Shruthi.

"Hey," he took the call.

"Ananth etta, had you called me?"

"I could not reach you for a long time, your phone was engaged." He said.