Chapter 11

"Where were you?" Ananth's mother came to him as soon as he arrived home the next morning. Ananth walked in, "With a girl."

"What?"

"Told you guys. I have a girl..." He said. He reached his home and started taking off his shirt.

"Oh, God. You are going to ruin the reputation of this family. How am I supposed to show my face to my friends anymore."

"Don't worry. I am going to marry her soon."

"Then marry her. Marry whoever you want to. Don't bring shame to our house like this, staying outside at night. God knows what kind of character the girl has if she is with guys all night."

"She was not with 'guys'. She was with me. Singular. And don't question her 'character'. She is a nice girl. And what did you say earlier? Are you allowing me to marry her?"

His mother looked defenceless. "Well... if you give us no choice."

"Amma... Thank you." He smiled.

"Don't. I have not said yes yet. First I have to assess the girl. I have to like her first. Who is she? Name? Show me a photo."

Ananth's face fell.

"Well...?" His mother asked.

"You... You know her." He said.

"What? How would I? Is it someone from this neighbourhood? Is it that Rachel's daughter?" His mother asked referring to a neighbourhood lady.

"No." He said. "You know her from fifteen years back. It is Vandana. Vandana Alex."

His mother's face hardened for a second, and then she smiled widely. Ananth was confused. "You are joking." His mother said. "Come on... don't scare me like that. Now say honestly who is it..."

"I am not joking, Amma. It is Vandana." He said. "She works in my office now. Been a few months now."His mother was believing now. "We rekindled our relationship. I really like her, Amma. I want to marry her."

"Over my dead body." His mother said. She seemed really shocked and flabbergasted. "I would have agreed if it was anyone else other than that wretch. This... never."

"Why?" He asked.

"Why? She was the reason you almost died."

"No. I was the reason I almost died. I did it. It was MY fault. And if we have to nitpick, then it was you guys – the parents' fault. If you had not tried to separate us, I would not have taken that stupid step. Why, Amma... Why? Why did you have to try to separate us back then? What bad could have occurred if we had stayed together back then? Would we have got married or something?"

"You were too young for a relationship. You were not concentrating on your studies enough. We did not want you to ruin your future."

"We were getting good enough marks in exams," Ananth recalled. They even used to encourage each other to study better. Sometimes did combined studies.

"In any case, I am not going to approve her. I will rather die than approve her." His mother said.

"Well, what can we do? I would marry only her. No matter what happens. You will eventually have to accept her. Or you will lose your son. You know I am not fifteen anymore. I have a job. I have the capability of doing things on my own."

"How dare you...." His mom was angry. "You will elope with her?"

"If I have to. But I would prefer if you would accept her."