Chapter 7

Ananth was lying on his bed one night, just scrolling through the phone when he got a call from Shruthi. It was unusual. But he took the call, "Hello."

"Ananth etta... We, Faiz and I are planning to leave this weak."

"Oh, okay... That's great. Good luck to both of you."

"About that..." Shruthi sounded like she has a lot more to say. "Hm..."

"Tell me," Ananth prompted.

"Can you attend my wedding? It would be good if you can. Bring that lady friend of yours too."

"Why do you want me at your wedding?"

"Because I feel so sorry for doing this to you. I would feel a lot better if you can attend our wedding and give us your blessing."

Ananth being a good-hearted person could not just directly say no to her.

The next day in the office, he decided to discuss it with Vandana. The office people had finally given up talking about them. And life was resuming the old state.

"She wants you at her court wedding?" Vandana asked puzzled. "Why?"

"To give them my blessings."

"Are you their ancestor to give them your blessing?" She scowled.

He gave her a weak smile. "Are you coming? She invited you as well."

"Am I mental?? To come to the court wedding of your fiancé?" she guffawed.

"Come on, please. I don't want to go alone and look like a fool."

"Then don't go."

"I promised her I would be there."

"When is this?"

"This Sunday."

Vandana considered. She did not want Ananth to go alone either. It would be weirder to go alone than with a company. "Fine," she said. "I'll come."

"Great. I will pick you up from your home at 11 am. Their marriage function is at 12 pm. "

"What function? It's just court marriage." She scowled again.

But next Sunday Ananth picked Vandana up and went to the marriage.

Except for a couple of friends of Faiz, they were the only ones there. Faiz and Shruthi were looking nervous, but happy. They signed the documents and exchanged garlands. According to Hindu tradition, Faiz tried a wedding chain to Shruthi.

Everyone took photos. And they ate biriyani from a nearby shop. Faiz's treat. And then Ananth and Vandana accompanied them as they went to the Kochuveli railway station to board the train to Bangalore.

"Thanks, brother," Faiz told Ananth.

"Just take care of yourself and her." He told him. "Be alert always. It is not really safe, and do not trust people easily..."

"Can you stop scaring them?" Vandana asked. "Relax, Faiz. And good luck for your future."

They watched the couple get on the train and the train moved off.

"Come, I will drop you home," Ananth told Vandana.

"So soon? Let's chill somewhere and then go. It is just four pm." She said. Vandana looked at his hesitation. "Just as friends." She said. "Can't we even be friends? And I have to talk to you about something as well."