Chapter 3

"I can't just elope with you," The girl sitting alongside Vandana said to the guy at the table with her. Vandana looked up. She was meeting Mekha at the restaurant. Mekha had not arrived yet and she had heard this conversation on the neighbouring table.

"But... Then... you will marry that guy?"

"It is not like I want to." The girl said. "I also want to marry you, Faiz. But you know my situation. Besides you were the one who told me to go marry someone else. What happened to that now?"

"I am sorry. I did not... I don't want to lose you." He caught her hand. "I really don't want to... I may go mad if you get married to some other guy."

Now the girl was melting a bit. Things were interesting, so Vandana turned to look at them to listen more keenly.

"What are you staring at?" the girl snapped at Vandana.

That is when Vandna noticed that she has seen this girl somewhere. She could not exactly place where she has seen her, but she has definitely seen her. "Have we met before?" Vandana asked the girl.

"Not that I know of." She said.

Vandana turned away feeling puzzled. She has definitely seen this girl somewhere.

"Shruthi, please..." The guy said to the girl just then. "Let's elope. That is the only way."

The name hit a cord for Vandana. Shruthi?? She remembered where she has seen the girl now. It was in Ananth's engagement photos. This was Ananth's fiancé. She turned to look at the couple again.

"Faiz..." Shruti turned to the guy. "Look, even I don't want to marry the guy. But eloping...? Where will we go? How will we survive? What about our jobs...?"

"Look, we can register our marriage and then rent a house. You don't worry about a thing. I will manage everything."

Shruthi was melting now "Fine," she said. Vandana did not know what the hell to do. But Shruti noticed that Vandana was looking at them again. "Can we go somewhere else, Faiz?" She asked the guy. The guy noticed Vandana looking at them. He turned to her. "Sister, please mind your business. This is our personal matter." He said.

"Sorry," Vandana told him and got up from her seat. She saw Mekha walking in. She walked to her. "Let's go somewhere else." She led Mekha away from there.

Vandana fidgeted a lot the next day in the office. Ananth was just near her and she could see the engagement ring on his finger. She did not know how to deal with this situation. She had discussed what he heard with Mekha and Mekha had told her that Ananth has every right to know. But Vandana did not know how to tell him that his fiancé is planning to elope with some other guy. That too with their history between them, Vandana telling him this news would be a hell lot more difficult. It is easy to misunderstand the situation.

But then not telling him was not going to be good either. Any good friend will tell this situation to him. He should know now than later when the girl had eloped.

Ananth had got up to go to the pantry when Vandana followed him. She pulled him into the empty conference room. "What? What is with you?" Ananth asked her, startled.

"I need to tell you something important."

"What?"

"Don't be shocked..."

"Now please don't tell me that you love me still." He chuckled, joking.

"What no..." She snapped.

"What is it?" He asked, now interested.