Chapter 1: Phantomhive Estate

~Lori~

"We have arrived, Milady." Jeanette informed me. I nodded and opened my slim red fan to cover half my face.

Andrew, my driver, politely opened the carriage for us, also offering his hand for us to take. Jeanette stepped down first, her beautiful white hair flowing in the wind.

I soon followed suit, carefully picking up my dark red dress so that it wouldn't get stuck on the steps of the carriage.

As we set foot at the entrance of the mansion, we saw a tall butler standing at the gate.

"Welcome to the Phantomhive Estate, Mistress Lori Fràcell Vandiviere." He said in a deep voice.

I curtsied at him. "The pleasure is ours, kind sir."

"No need to bow down to me, young Mistress. I'm nothing but a mere servant of the Phantomhives. Please, call me Sebastian." He bowed. "Master Ciel is waiting at his study. May I escort you there?"

I turned around and kindly told Andrew to stay behind and guard the carriage. When my eyes landed at Jeanette, she has a fierce glare fixed on Sebastian. Was she glaring at him from the very start?!

I immediately tugged on her sleeve. "Jeanette, your manners." I frowned at her.

Jeanette's white eyes softened as she looked at me. "My apologies," she murmured.

I slightly nodded and faced Sebastian. "Yes, please."

Sebastian bowed and escorted us through the mansion. I looked around and can't help but gawk at the beautiful yet simple designs. Thankfully, I had a fan over my face so no one even noticed.

"Such a beautiful dwelling," I complimented.

"My deepest gratitude, my Lady. It's nice to hear that you find it pleasing to the eye," Sebastian smiled at me.

We stopped at a room with two wide wooden doors.

I look at Sebastian. "This is it, I presume?"

"Yes, please do enter." Sebastian gently opened the two doors and let us in.

I saw a young man with navy blue hair who was sitting at a red chair facing us. He sat cross-legged and his right hand was resting on one armchair. He was leaning his head at the back of his hand as he boredly stared at us. I noticed that he kept one eye hidden under his eye patch and that only was ocean blue eye was visible.

I curtsied in front of him. "Lori Fràncell Vandiviere, your Highness."

The young man stood up and walked in front of me. "Remove your fan," he sternly ordered.

I did as I was told.

He placed his thumb under my chin and tilted it up. "Hm, fair enough." He said as he removed his fingers.

"Fair enough? She's—-" "Jeanette," I stopped her ramblings. I looked at her at the corner of my eye. "It's okay," I whispered.

Ciel returned to his chair. "Sebastian, leave us for a while."

Sebastian bowed and opened the door.

I look at my maid and nodded. "You too, please."

Jeanette glared at the young man. "One touch and I will——" "Jeanette." I cut her off again. "I told you, I'll be okay."

Jeanette hesitantly bowed and left the room. Upon her exit, I bowed at him. "I'm very sorry about my maid, Master."

He just grunted and picked up the papers from the table. "My name is Earl Ciel Phantomhive. As you have read from the letter, I am asking you to be my fiance. Do you accept?" His cold eye landed on me.