9

Alex and I were at the clubhouse the next day because he still had to work. The guys didn't mind me hanging out and Piney and Gemma preferred it because I could keep an eye on Jax and Opie since they were now on summer vacation. Piney walked out of the clubhouse towards the office where I was standing talking to Alex and Kozik. I knew instantly it wasn't good.

Piney put his arm around me the second he walked up. "JT didn't make it. Gemma's on her way to tell Jax. Shop's pick ups only for the afternoon."

We all nodded and Piney apologized softly. I just shook my head and wiped my eyes. Both my parental figures gone in less than a week. Alex seemed to notice I wasn't holding it together too well and pulled me into his arms.

"We'll get through this doll," he said. I just nodded into his chest. Gemma's SUV pulled up on the lot and Piney went to talk to her. They hugged and Clay instantly was at Gemma's side, kissing her head.

"They're a little cozy considering her husband just died," I said.

"Not our concern baby," Alex said.

"I know, just seems suspicious," I said. Gemma walked over to where Jax was on the swings.

"Tig I need you with me tonight," Clay yelled. Alex just nodded and kissed my head before going to see what Clay wanted him for.

"How ya holding up doll?" Kozik asked. I scoffed a little.

"I have been better," I said. "Lost both my parents in just a few days."

"JT-."

"No," I said. "Ma and I moved to Charming when I was seven. My father wasn't great so Mom and I did everything in our power to get away. Ma somehow got close to the club when Piney and JT started it. I always figured if Piney hadn't knocked Mary up, he would've married my Ma."

"I'm sorry Lauren," he said.

"Thanks Koz," I said. He hugged me, holding me for a few seconds to allow me to relax. Alex returned shortly after.

"Hey, it's gonna be a late one. You can stay in my bed if you want. Koz will keep ya safe," Alex said.

"I think I'll just stay at Ma's place."

"You sure?"

"Gotta start going through stuff anyways," I said. "Speaking of, can I get a ride home?"

"Yeah, just let me go tell Clay," Alex said before walking away.

"Lauren, you've got my number if you need me while he's out tonight," Kozik said.

I nodded and thanked him before walking over towards Alex's bike. It didn't take long until Alex was walking towards me. He handed me his helmet and we got on his bike together, making the short trip to my mother's house.

"Do you want me to stay for a bit?" Alex asked. I was standing next to his bike looking at the house.

"No, the club needs you," I said.

"So do you, and you're my girl," he said. He kissed my cheek before trying to get me to turn towards him a bit.

"You sure you got this?" Alex asked. I nodded and smiled a little as we made eye contact.

"Ride safe," I said. "And come here when you're done."

"Will do baby," he said. I leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to his lips.

"I love you Ren," he said, his hand on my hip.

"I love you too," I said. I turned and walked into the house, trying to remain calm as I did so. I wasn't entirely sure where to start but I knew I needed to start going through her things.