Chapter 8: What Is She Hiding

Optimus's POV

Ratchet finished scanning my room for bugs, "We're clear."

"I don't like it, Ratchet." I stated.

"You don't like the situation or you don't like Kat?" He questioned.

"When we took in Raf, Miko, and Jack, and even Smokescreen, it took less than a day for me to figure out what kind of person they were. I know almost nothing about her." I explained.

"And?"

"She's hiding things. She's dangerous. I know she's a good person, but I just can't figure her out." I growled, not quite sure how to express my frustration to the old medic.

"Simple. She's you, except super over-protective and more violent." Ratchet explained.

The base doors opened and Smokescreen walked through grumpily.

"Aren't you supposed to be watching Kat?" Ratchet asked.

"The school roof had better security, so she told me to let her walk to Miko's house. And then she convinced me that Bulkhead was more than enough, so that's nice." Smokescreen huffed.

"Kat can't go to Miko's house. Remember?" I reminded him.

Smokescreen's optics widened, "Frag! She tricked me!"

"Language!" I scolded and Ratchet shook his head in disappointment.

"Why would she do that!?" Smokescreen exclaimed, "We're partners in crime!"

"Because she doesn't want you to know something. Any of us." I replied.

Smokescreen scowled, "Well, I'm going to go look for her."

I shook my head, "Don't bother. If Kat doesn't want to be found, you won't find her."

▪️◾◼⬛◼◾▪️

The base doors opened again and Kat walked in, her hair tied up in a ponytail and her clothes changed. Two brown paper bags rested under her arm.

"You broke our deal." I stated.

She didn't spare me a glance, "Yes I did."

I stared after Kat as she easily climbed up the ladder to the other children. I sighed in annoyance.

"I brought donuts." Kat said, handing one bag to Raf.

Smokescreen walked over to me, "Did she give you a reason?"

"No."

He frowned and went up to her, "How come you ditched me last night?"

Kat smiled, "No offense, Smokescreen, but I just met you yesterday. I don't let anyone near me when I'm sleeping."

"I thought you trusted me! We escaped the Decepticon warship together!" He whined.

"I do trust you... enough for things that aren't related to my night-time habits." She replied lightly, "But I got you a gift in return."

Kat tossed him a small bottle, "It's window cleaner. You've got a ton of bugs on your windowshield and there is no way that they feel normal there."

Smokescreen nodded, "They were kind of bugging me."

Miko and Jack laughed. Kat rolled her eyes. Raf simply shoved a doughnut down his throat.