Better be...

Disclaimer - I do not own Harry Potter or Percy Jackson

Nico's POV

I had sort of zoned out during the hat's song, it was insignificant anyway. I wondered what house I would be in. I was praying to Tyche that I wouldn't be sorted into Hufflepuff. That little snake Draco would think I was weak, that he could walk all over me. I would say he was as dumb as a rock, but at least a rock can hold a door open. McGonagall's voice pulled me from my musings.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbot, Hannah!" A pink-faced girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, put on the hat, which fell right down over her eyes and sat down. A moment's pause before-

"HUFFLEPUFF" shouted that hat, making me jump. The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the Hufflepuff table. I saw the ghost of the Fat Friar waving merrily at her. "Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again, and Susan scuttled off to sit next to Hannah.

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!" The table second from the left clapped this time; several Ravenclaws stood up to shake hands with Terry as he joined them.

"Brocklehurst, Mandy" went to Ravenclaw, but "Brown, Lavender" became the first new Gryffindor and the table on the far left exploded with cheers; I saw two red-headed twins catcalling. "Bulstrode, Millicent" then became a Slytherin.

"Di Angelo, Nico!" McGonagall called. I walked up to the stool and sat down. I didn't see why everyone looked so scared, it was just a hat and who cared what house you were sorted into? Personally, I would be fine with any house as long as they wouldn't get in the way of my goals. I had to keep my eyes on the prize: trading old Voldy's soul for my sister's. I couldn't let trivial things like the sorting distract me. The hat was placed onto my head and fell over my eyes. It was quite dark to be honest and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see what was happening. I waited for something to happen, getting a little bored now. Then, a voice whispered in my ear.

"Hmm. Difficult, very difficult. A kind heart, to a degree. You would do anything for your sister. Plenty of courage, clever too. What to choose? An abundance of ambition, nothing will stop you from getting your goals. You hold grudges too. No, not Hufflepuff. You let your goals cloud your judgment sometimes, lose your wits, not Ravenclaw. So, where to put you? Gryffindor or Slytherin? Hmm, very difficult. Better be, SLYTHERIN!"

The hat was lifted from my eyes and I made my way over to the Slytherin table. A few of them clapped, but most looked bored. One of them leaned over to me and said, "Your sorting took ages, what took so long?" He smirked and sarcastically added, "Are you complicated? Maybe the hat didn't realise you were a person. After all, there's hardly anything of you. Go eat a burger, freak." He lent back and I rolled my eyes. This guy was an idiot and I wasn't going to let him bait me. Whilst he had been speaking, "Finch-Fletchley, Justin" had been sorted into Hufflepuff.

"Granger, Hermione!" Hermione almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly onto her head. "GRYFFINDOR!" shouted the hat. She quickly made her way to the table and the sorting continued. "Longbottom, Neville!" The round-faced boy, who kept losing his toad shyly made his way to the stool, falling over on the way. He got up looking embarrassed. The hat took a long time to decide for Neville. When it finally shouted "GRYFFINDOR!", Neville ran off still wearing it, and hat to jog back amid gales of laughter to give it to "MacDougal, Morag". Next called was Malfoy, who swaggered forward and immediately, before the hat had even properly touched his head, screamed "SLYTHERIN!" Malfoy approached the table, sitting with his friends Crabbe and Goyle, looking pleased with himself. There weren't many people left now. "Moon"... "Nott"... "Parkinson", then two twin girls, "Patil" and "Patil" ... then "Perks, Sally-Anne" ... then, at last -

"Potter, Harry!" As Harry stepped forward, shaking like a leaf, whispers broke out like little hissing fires all over the hall. Malfoy looked displeased. "Potter, did she say?" "The Harry Potter?" Harry sat on the stool and people started craning their necks to look at him as the hat fell in front of his eyes. He gripped the sides of the stool, whilst we waited. The hat took a long time to decide, almost as long as my sorting, but then it declared him to be in, "GRYFFINDOR!". He got the loudest cheer yet as he walked over to the distinctly red table. Many people shook his hands and waved at him. He looked a little overwhelmed, and it was honestly quite amusing. There were only three people left to be sorted. "Turpin, Lisa" became a Ravenclaw and then it was Ron's turn. He was pale green by now. The hat was placed on his head, before shouting "GRYFFINDOR!". Ron went to the Gryffindor table and collapsed into the chair next to Harry. It was a shame they weren't in Slytherin, after all Hecate had told me to make friends and I was pretty sure I had failed that. It wasn't the end though, being sorted into Slytherin, I could still get close to Harry and from what Hecate said about the wizarding world, the Slytherins might know where I could look for Voldemort. Last to be sorted was "Zabini, Blaise", who was made a Slytherin. Professor McGonagall rolled up her scroll and took the Sorting Hat away. Then, Professor Dumbledore stood, beaming at us, arms wide and spoke. "Welcome!" He said, "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" Saying I was confused would be an understatement. He sat back down and everybody clapped and cheered. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or call the nearest asylum and tell them I'd found their missing patient. I looked back at the table, and there was food filling the previously empty table. I grabbed a couple of roast potatoes and some pork chops. As I was eating, the other kids kept randomly gabbering away about random things like "Who would win the house cup?" and "Did you see the Falmouth Falcons at the Quidditch game last month?". I tuned them out and just ate. Soon we would go up to our dorm rooms and I could sleep again.

Thank you for reading :)

Sorry for not updating sooner, but I hope you liked this chapter. Nico's finally sorted! Do you agree with where I placed him? If not, tell me why, I'd love to hear your arguments. For anyone that doesn't know, my half-face reveal is in my book: "Random Things About Me"

Love you my Kings, Queens and Inbetweens :D