Prepare for the Sorting

Disclaimer - I do not own Harry Potter or Percy Jackson

Draco's POV

I must say, I expected more out of Potter, but he turned out to be a brat. I guess I should have known, after all he's a celebrity. All he did was live. I lived too and do I get any recognition. No. So why should he. Then there was that Di Angelo kid, he unnerved me. When I first came into the compartment, I didn't notice him but when I did, there was just something about him that unsettled me. So I did the first thing I thought of, insulted him of course. What I didn't expect was the insolence he responded with. I mean, didn't he know who I was? Maybe he was muggle-born. I don't understand why Dumbledore didn't just refuse that sort, but after all, he was an old fool. Someday my father will dispose of him and put someone with brains in his place. If I was Headmaster of Hogwarts, they would be one of the first things to go, second only to Hagrid. That oaf took us on the boats across the lake, but Di Angelo falling in made up for his presence, so I guess it's okay. He led us up to the doors, raised his gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door. The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and my first thought was that she wasn't someone to mess with. She may look old, but I could respect the authority she seemed to hold. "The firs'-years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She pulled the door wide. The Entrance Hall was big, but my parent's manor was far superior. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase was facing us, which I presume led to the upper floors. I like it, it reminded me a little of the grandeur of my own household, only without the accompanying coldness from father. We followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. I could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right- the rest of the school must already be here- but McGonagall showed us into an empty chamber off the hall. We crowded in, standing rather closer together than they usually would have done, peering about nervously. "Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." I looked around and watched as Potter nervously tried to flatten his hair. I saw Di Angelo watching me in mild disgust as I straightened my tie slightly, and I sneered at him in response. He himself did nothing to try and improve his looks, not that anything would have made him look good. "I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall "Please wait quietly." She left the chamber and Potter and Weasley started trading useless questions about what was to come. I knew I would be in Slytherin, after all it is the most superior house. Di Angelo and I seemed to be the only ones not completely terrified by the idea of walking through those doors. Maybe he was used to being judged by crowds of strangers, or maybe he just knew he would end up in the worst house, where he belongs. Just looking at him, I could tell he was talentless and poor. He's the type of person I would never associate myself with. Potter and Weasley stopped talking, and now hardly anyone was talking, bar that annoying brunette with the large front teeth, Granger, I think. She was whispering very fast about all the spells she had learnt and wondering which one she'd need. I curled my lip in distaste. She must be another mudblood. Any second now, Professor McGonagall would come back and lead me to my destiny. Just then, several people screamed, making me jump back and quickly look around for what made them scream. About twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly glancing at us. They seemed to be arguing. What looked like a fat little monk was saying, "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance-"