Chapter 15

After Yongshi and Karthik leave, I notice it's getting dark and decide to set traps for animals. After I set the traps, I sit in my shelter and wait. The night is so quiet I can hear my own breath vividly. I sit for about ten minutes just thinking about how my life has been the past few days when I hear a noise. I get excited because I think it is the trap going off. But then I hear more steps. Human steps. Coming closer and closer to my shelter. My hand inches over to my stack of throwing knives. I grab the stack and put two in my pocket and one in my hand. I feel my heart beating in my throat. I slowly stand up and right when I walk outside the shelter, an arrow whistles past my ear. I quickly duck to the ground and get up and throw a knife into the darkness. I hear the knife meet its target and I shudder. I hear a horrible scream and a boy with the knife sunk into his arm walks out of the darkness. He is about fourteen and in a district costume.

"Stay away from me! I'm warning you! I have more weapons than you can handle!" I lie, my scream catching in my throat.

Then, three other boys walk out of the darkness. There is something about every district person in the arena. Their eyes just... don't have light in them. Maybe I'm just seeing things. I throw a knife and it nicks one of their faces. I start running as fast as I can toward the cornucopia. They run at a speed that is not human, scowls on their faces. They catch up to me in a total of four seconds and the leader tackles me. The other two poise spears at my head.

"Surrender, Hopcarth. You've lost, little boy." Suddenly a thunk is heard. The boy falls with an arrow in his back. Then the other boy. The leader furiously turns around and an arrow hits him square in the chest. He wails and another hits him in the neck to finish him off. I see Gloria standing there with a goofy grin on her face.

"Howdy, cuz. Where you been?"