Chapter 7

I wait in the line of tributes. One by one the tributes go to the stage. I was 5th in line and so I got to go fairly quick.

"Next" says Paylor, "we have Alex Hopcarth!"

I walk up the stairs and onto the stage. I am almost blinded by the amount of light. I wasn't used to this much light at all. I walk blindly to where Paylor sat and sit down.

"Hello" says Paylor. "How are you?"

"Bad" I say honestly while my eyes are adjusting to the light.

"And why might that be?" She asks, laughing.

And I suddenly think of something despicable. "I just need to let it out. Me and Gloria Flickerman...are cousins."

The crowd gasps in horror, but Paylor simply laughs and says "please. If you two were related in any way we would have reaped a different name."

Then I said "We didn't want to say anything because we knew that you wouldn't believe us. And we knew that one of us would die for the other in the Games."

The crowd awes. Then Paylor says "Oh, please!! You couldn't POSSIBLY believe this twit! He is a CHILD!!!"

Then, a young woman stands up and starts cheering: "Cancel the Games! Cancel the Games!" Then everyone joins in. My plan is working perfectly.

"STOP! STOP!!!" Yells Paylor. "We will reap another name!"

Then, the same young woman that started the cheer runs up from the audience, grabs the microphone, and says "And risk another death?! Another relative?! Face it! This is a sign! This is the way it's supposed to be! With no Games!"

They all break out in cheer again. "Cancel the Games! Cancel the Games!" The cheers echo off the walls.

Then suddenly a security guard comes up and shoots the woman encouraging the cheering. The cheers immediately silence. She crumples to the floor. Then, I hear an unnatural screaming coming from a man.

"Allie! No!!" He runs up the stage. It was Peeta. "My sister!!!"

And he sits by the cold, empty body, crying uncontrollably.