Chapter 2

We walk down the street to the square. It used to be everyone lived separately but now all the districts and former capitol citizens live all together as one giant city. Of course, the capitol people are known because of their fashion and get no respect at all. Who would anyway? We're the ones who encouraged children fighting to the death and people living in poverty! At least MOST people did. We walked into our designated sections and stood in the blazing hot sun. Then, some important people walked out and sat down on the stage. People such as Johanna, Peeta, and Katniss. Katniss and Peeta were holding hands with blank expressions. Johanna however was sneering and laughing. Then, a woman named Effie Trinket walked to the microphone.

"Welcome! Welcome, welcome." Effie was no longer the woman I remember her as. Her hair was in a pony tail with curls bouncing near her face with no showy outfit or crazy makeup on at all. Just jeans and a t-shirt. She did, however, still have her peppy, optimistic attitude.
"We are gathered here today for the reaping of 12 boys and 12 girls from the ages of 12-18 to participate in the first, and only, Capitol Games!!! This is as punishment for you all watching hundreds of children die. Now" she cleared her throat "Ladies first."
She reached her hand in and plucked a slip from the hundreds in there. "Bella Montiez" a shy, quiet girl walked up to the stage, scared out of her wits. She was 17. I could tell. She read the rest of the girls then said "now for the boys." My body suddenly stiffened up. "Yongshi McLardow" a boy, about 15, walked up. She reached in and pulled out another name from the reaping ball. "Alex Hopcarth".