Chapter 8

I sit in my chair shocked. All the tributes run out onto the stage.

I stop Gloria and simply whisper into her ear "Learn to play along with the relative thing?" She quickly nods her head then we gather around Allie. I press two fingers below her ear. "I still got a pulse!" I scream, overcome with joy. Then paramedics come and take her to the hospital.

"That'll be all" says Paylor into the microphone. I guess the other 18 tributes don't get to be interviewed.
We all go back to our rooms.

"Are you insane?!" Yells Portenia.

"Maybe a little. I was just trying to get them to cancel the games!"

"Well I think you got your wish. But by doing it you caused the death of an innocent woman!"

"I felt a pulse" I retort.

"Like it matters" says Portenia. "She probably will bleed out by morning. Get to bed. Now."

I obey and walk up to bed. I lie in bed thinking about Allie and how she didn't deserve to die. I think about how she defended me and started the "cancel the Games" cheer. I imagine the audience cheering it and the last thing in my head I hear is "cancel the Games" before I fall into a deep sleep. I wake up to the smell of bacon from the kitchen. I run down the stairs to get my meal of bacon, eggs, and hash browns. The nightmares weren't too bad last night. We sit eating in silence, just me and Portenia, when we hear the loud speaker come on.

"Good morning, tributes. I hope you had a good sleep. We have an announcement to make: Allie is alive." Portenia and I gasp. "We have decided to let Alex off the hook for his crimes because her life was saved and... We WILL have a Hunger Games in 4 hours. Good luck... and may the odds be ever in your favor."