Chapter 1

I dragged myself out of bed. I walked into the bathroom to see myself in the mirror. Same Alex Hopcarth. Same black hair and brown eyes. I walked into the living room wearing my tapered black suit with a rose tucked in the shirt pocket. Today was reaping day for the capitol children. After the districts took over and President Paylor was our new leader, she decided to have one final hunger games with the capitol children as punishment for them watching and encouraging the district Hunger Games. What Paylor doesn't know is that I have actually been against the Hunger Games all along. Every year for the past 12 years me and my family refused to watch it. I was often revolted at why the capitol put on such a pageant as The Hunger Games. I just wish they could see that. But I guess there's nothing I could do about it. If I get chosen and I say that, they're not going to believe me. They're just going to put me in the arena with everyone else and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I sit on the couch waiting for my mother when she finally comes out.

"You look so handsome!" She says enthusiastically.

"Thanks" I sigh.

She practically reads my mind and says
"Sweetie you're only 12 and your name is only in there once, they're not gonna pick you. Now come on, let's go."

We silently leave the house with just her, me, and my dad to the reaping.