Chapter 11 : The Research Team

"You were in pretty big danger there kids, how the hell did you even got on this island? Are you injured ?", said Mortimer with a texan accent. Jonathan began to cry tears of joy as he embraced the man, "Is everything okay? Why the hell are you crying!?", responded Mortimer as his face morphed into one of confusion. "We are saved!" screamed Emilie with joy in her voice and eyes, the others began to cry tears of joy as well.

Victor quickly wiped them away as the tears of his friends went down their checks, "Why don't you explain all of this at the outpost?", said Mortimer in a confused tone as he pushed Jonathan aside.

The group slowly calmed down and followed the man, as they walked Jonathan said:"I can't believe that we are finally saved, how long were we on this island ?", Emilie responded :"I would say about 5 days or 6 maybe even more or less.".

The man who introduced himself as Mortimer lead them towards the mountain, the breeze became even colder and the grasslands slowly turned into a cold tundra where the bushes and trees turned into cold moss and grass.

"We are going too fast, slow down" said Mortimer with a worried look on his face, "What is it ? Aren't we going to the outpost ?", asked Victor. "We aren't going to reach the outpost if one of those things attacks us" said Mortimer while he was pointing at something in the grass.

It was a small dinosaur about the size of a boar with a brown frill and horns which were pricked into the moss in order to lift it out of the ground and eat it. There were 4 more of its kind, one with a blue frill,  another individual with a dull colored frill and a juvenile.

"My partner named them Parvucorn mortimus : Small horn of Mortimer. He said that both I and that dinosaur are hot-tempered, which of course isn't true in my case, but we should slow down if we don't want to end up like my left leg." He said as he pulled his pants up to reveal a small hole, "Partner?!" Emilie shouted, Mortimer quickly rushed over to her and put his hands on her mouth.

The Parvucorn noticed them but quickly went back to excavating moss, "You have a partner ?!" whispered Emilie, "I will explain everything at the outpost now get moving" he responded with an annoyed look in his eyes.

The group slowly went out of reach of the Parvucorns eyes and ears "You can already see the outpost over there" said Mortimer, "It's rather small for a full blown outpost isnt it ?" asked Victor with a shit eating grin.

"I bet you couldnt even build half of that in the time we were on this side of the island!" shouted Mortimer at Victor. "Sorry, sorry, it was just a joke." responded Victor, rolling his eyes.

It was a large tent that was held up by two logs that leaned against the mountain, it didn't look like anything the group imagined. It wasn't a town full of people or an outpost for a research facility but a single big tent, Jonathan started to worry a bit but was still hopeful that this was the ticket to civilization they had searched for the last few days.

Mortimer slowly walked towards what appeared to be an entrance, "I'm back from hunting Mark, I didn't bring anything to eat, but there is something else you should take a look at." A man emerged out of the tent, he was significantly smaller than his companion and wore a leather coat that reached his knees, he suddenly began to raise his voice after he let out a sigh : "I swear if its another ani-" the man that Mortimer called "Mark" quickly stopped mid-sentence as he saw the group standing outside the tent waiting to enter.

"How the-  What the-", Mark whispered to himself while he was circling around the group trying to find distinguishing features. "Shouldn't we discuss things inside ?" Mortimer said in a crude tone akin to a parent scolding their child. Mark nodded and walked back inside, The group was creeped out by the suspicious behavior of this "Mark".