Chapter 10 : The Herd

The breeze was refreshingly cool, the uncomfortable humidity on their bodies quickly went away and the group stepped outside the jungle. The grass felt like a couch cushion, sturdy and soft at the same time, but unlike a cushion it waved across the grassland like India's finest dancers.

"It feels amazing, doesnt it ?" asked Victor, almost swallowing in the cold air, "I still prefer my room though, but this is nice", responded Jonathan with a sharp tongue. "Could you shut up for once ?", Emilie asked with a miscellaneous grin across her face.

The grasslands was covered in fields of green grass with trees and bushes decorating the dry fields, Animals that weren't  discernible roamed the fields. Some big, some small, others moved in herds while others stayed in small groups and in the background of all this there was smoke.

"Look over there ! The smoke is right there!", Emilie screamed, not noticing the giant shadows in the sky."If there is smoke, there is fire and on fire we can cook the meat !" responded Victor with water in his mouth.

The group started walking towards the smoke, the grass felt like soft knifes running along their legs, Victor looked at a bunch of black dots in the distance and said : "Yo Jonathan, You think those are dinosaurs ?". Jonathan looked at where Victor was pointing and said : "They could be, but they are definetly herd animals."

The animals slowly approached the group, the dots became silhouettes and the silhouettes aproached at slow speeds.

"We should move faster if we dont want to get trampled." said Emilie as she was picking up speed, "is it just me or is that herd following us ?" asked Jonathan with a worried look on his face.

Victor denied it : "If they would follow us the herd would be moving muc faster towards us."  Jonathan nodded and started running after emilie.

Emilie started slowing down, "Whats the matter ?" asked Victor confused about her sudden stopping, "It's just...", she started panting. "I couldn't run anymore, its just so hard and my back  hurts."

"What are you talking about ? We just started running. Are your wounds that bad ?", Jonathan said as he approached Emilie. "Are you okay ? Should we sit down ?", asked Victor worried. "I am feeling... better ?!" responded Emilie perplexed.

"I think we should get moving now, she is feeling better and the herd is coming towards us" said jonathan with a cold look in his eyes. The others nodded and got moving, Jonathan closed his eyes and looked into the sky, the sun was warming his face. The sunrays were unblocked and shined onto the grassland, Jonathan opened his eyes and saw a small shadow blocking the sun.

It flew by fast, it might be a plane or an animal but jonathan didnt really care until ten other shadows flew after the first one in a arrowhead formation.

"Get onto the ground !" jonathan screamed as he layed himslef into the grass and started to try and cover his body with the long grass. "What are you doing ?!" shouted Emilie back at Jonathan. "Pterosaurs, they are flying reptiles and above us is a gigantic flock of gigantic Pterosaurs !"

Victor looked above him and saw eleven animals flying above him in an arrowhead formation, he quickly jumped into the grass, "have you forgot about the herd that is coming this way and is going to trample us ?!" shouted emilie at the boys that were laying in the grass.

Jonathan remained in his spot while giving Emilie a pissed of look, Victor started to get out he grass as Jonathan dragged him down "What are yo-" he quickly stopped the sentence as he noticed his friend was pointing at something, a herd of long necked dinosaurs and carnivores.

"What are you guys doi-" Emilie saw the herd too and quickly layed down beside the others, "What are those dinosaurs" Victor asked calmly waiting in the grass, "It looks like a herd of Titanosaurids that are being hunte- no ACCOMPANIED by tyrannosaurids!" he shouted in amazment "Herbivores and Carnivores accompaniyng eachother ! We knew mammals  did those things btu dinosaurs, the only thing that I dont know is why ? Titanosaurids could defend themselves from their natural enemies and the Tyrannosaurids could just work in a family so why ?", Jonathan said as he expressed every emotion known to man except anger. "You done talking ?" asked Emilie in a sarcasstic tone.

"Shut up both of you.", Victor instructed. "The herd is going to cross ways with us and nobody wants those Tyrannosaurs hearing or spotting us."

The herd stop, the lead animal looked around looking for something and not finding it, the other heard animals started to worry and panic but the lead animal let out an earbalsting growl and indicated the way.

They walked infront of the group and the ground was shaking, the tyrannosaurids accompanied them and the were looking for something, probably a predator but what predator could lead to a problem so big that two species needed to accompany eachother.

The Titanosaurids were passing the group and only a few old individuals were in Jonathans view.

"Do you see that Jonathan ?", Victor said.  "See wha-" Jonathan looked around and saw the pterosaur formation rapidly approaching the herd.

The animal at the front of the formation started to dive down and it aimed for the weak individual at the back of the herd, The tyrannosaurs went rampant and started to flock around the weak individual waiting for the pterosaur to land. It had a red crest and a short neck, its wings were crimson red and its wings were gigantic. The weak titanosaur didnt even know what was happening until the pterosaur landed on its back and started to peck into its spine and ripped out a chunk of skin. It started to run on the longnecks back and take off, the tyrannosaurs jump up to try and catch the  crimson flyer but none of them suceeded.

After the attack from the crimosn flyer the other memebers of the formation started to land on the back of the dinosaur and bite chunks of its flesh off, its back was red and slippery and two pterosaurs even slipped of the giant to become a feast for the tyrannosaurs. The last of the formation landed on the giants back and gave the killing blow, it tried to take of as the giant fell down but was caught by the tyrannosaurs.

The giant fell down and the tyrannosaurs retreated, the only thing remaining was a corpse and the skeletons of the unsuccessful pterosaurs, "That is why they teamed up, the tyrannosaurids try to protect the titanosaurids and by protecting them they automatically get food." explained Jonathan with amazement in his voice. The pterosaurs flew down and started to eat the carcass of the gigantic animal but one of them looked around the grasslands having noticed something.

"Did it notice us ?" Jonathan thought out loud, The pterosaur started to walk towards them, pecking in the grass to check where the noise came from. The group was frozen in fear and couldnt move.

The pterosaur pecked right next to them and noticed them, it went for the killing blow and fell over. Its head was busted open and the other pterosaurs started to fly away.

They stood up looking for the shooter of the pterosaur and across the field they saw someone waving.

Jonathan started to run towards the man, he had a white moustache with gray hair, he wore a green jacket with brown boots that hid him in the grasslands.

"Allow me to introduce myself, My name is Mortimer Jean".