Hard Times in Hawaii

YEAR: 1964

"Are ye all packed love?"
"Yeah, do ye have all of Heathers stuff?" Paul dug through the suitcase to double check.
"Uh let's see, books, plush animals,"
"Is her octopus in there?"
"Mhmm," Paul continued, "blanket, bottles, you have to play pen,"
"Its already in the mini."
"Great, am I forgettin anythin?"
"I don't think so."
"Great," he planted a kiss on my lips, "let's go."
We drove to the airport, it took a while. There was a lot more traffic than usual. Our plane left at 10:45, we got there at 10:20.
"Paul, were never gonna make it!"
"If we hurry, and don't draw attention to ourselves then it'll be quick!"
"Fine."

As soon as we stepped in the airport people surrounded us. We rushed to get on the plane. People we nice enough to let us skip ahead of them in line. We got on the plane with about 5 minutes to spare. We set our luggage down in the first class cabin. We put Heather in her little travel seat and then we buckled ourselves up. Since we'd be sleeping on the plane we wrapped Heather in the purple blanket George got her for Christmas and gave her the plush octopus. For some strange reason I couldn't sleep.
"Hey love," Paul whispered, "are ye alright? Ye haven't slept a wink."
"I dunno, not tired I guess."
Paul lightly grabbed my hand and began rubbing it with his thumb. He was tired, I could tell. A ding went off in the middle if the flight, indicating that we could now get up and walk. We heard people walk up to the first class cabin.
"HI PAUL! I'M A HUGE FAN!"
A girl walked in, sounding very excited. She was so loud she woke Heather and a few other people up.
"Hello, what's yer name?"
"JAMIE!"
"Jamie, nice name, would ye like me to sign somethin for ye?" She nodded furiously and handed him a Please Please Me record. "What's yer last name love?"
"Smith, Jamie Smith."
I looked over to Paul and saw what he was writing on the record.
Jamie Smith,
Thanks for listening to the music, enjoy Hawaii.
Love,
Paul McCartney
His hand smudged some of his writing ad he dragged his hand across while writing the message.
"So," Jamie looked over to me and began talking, "yer so lucky, sittin next to Paul on the plane!" Paul and I looked to each other and laughed. "Oh my goodness!" Jamie let out a gasp, "Paul, is this yer girlfriend!"
"She's my wife." Paul gave her a smile.
"Oh, yer so lucky, I'm sorry I don't know yer name."
"Its Michelle," I told her as I was reaching for Heather so I could feed her.
"Is this yer kid?" Paul nodded. "She looks nothin like either of ye!"
"Well that's cause she's adopted, Jamie." Paul explained.
"Oh!" She gave us a kind smile. Then someone came into first class and told Jamie she couldn't be there anymore.
"It was very nice talkin to ye Jamie, enjoy Hawaii!"
"Thank ye Paul! Michelle," She walked out smiling.
I laid back in my seat and tried to sleep, Heather kept waking up, which mad a lot of people mad. Sometimes I got up, sometimes Paul got up. Paul felt so bad that was bothering so many people, so he gave everyone on the plane an autograph. So many people shrieked from excitement, I think a few girls fainted. The plane finally landed after a long flight. I grabbed Heather from her seat, Paul grabbed the luggage, and we got off the plane.
"Its so hot."
"Yeah, keep yer head low love."
We walked to the taxi waiting for us.
"So where's your-" the driver cut himself off, "oh my god, you're Paul and Michelle McCartney!"
"Yes we are, nice to meet ye!" Paul gave the man a smile.
Paul was always good about meeting new people, he'd always put a smile on and talk to them. While I seclude myself and just give them a fake smile. I don't like new people, I don't like people, I don't know how I'm going to live, constantly being chased by crazed fans. I don't know how Paul will do it.
"I'm so sorry, where are you going?"
"Um our hotel, its not far, maybe a mile or so."
"Oh, yeah alright, I know which one your talking about! Be there in a few."
We just looked out the windows as the man drove us to our hotel, he was showing us cool places to visit.
"This is so odd."
"What is love?"
"Drivin on this side of the road," I took a deep breath, "America is strange."

When Paul and I got to the hotel, there was no crowd, it was amazing. Paul tipped the nice cab driver and we headed up to our room. We had the nicest room in the hotel, Paul deserved it.
"Mich, this is so nice!"
He set down the luggage and began setting up the play pen for Heather. He stood up and gave me a long kiss.
"What was that for?" I let out a chuckle.
"Yer so cute, actin like I'm still yer high school crush." My cheeks became red as I smiled.
"I love ye." He gave me another kiss.
"Love ye too."

That night Heather slept well, so did Paul, and so did I. We woke up the next morning to the sound of someone knocking in the door. I got up and answered it.
"May I help ye?"
"Um, yes you can, is this the McCartney's room?"
"Yeah, what do ye want?"
"I have your breakfast." The poor kid was confused.
"Oh, yes, I'm sorry. I'm not great with people." I flashed him an awkward smile as he walked in.
"Oh, thank ye lad!" Paul shook his hand and gave him a big tip. "Sorry about my wife, she's not a people person."
"Its alright Mr. McCartney."
"Please, call me Paul." Paul gave the young lad a smile as he walked out.
"Mich, ye need to work on yer people skills, they're awful."
"I know I'm sorry. What time is it?"
"10:30"
"Thank ye." I went over to Heather's play pen, where she was sleeping, and picked her up and brought her to the window. "Look at the pretty ocean." She raised her hand to the glass and smiled.
"Ocean."
"Do ye wanna go play in the ocean?"
"Yes! Yes! Yes!" She began bouncing in my arms.
"Alright, let's eat first."
I kissed her forehead and sat her down on the king size bed and gave her a small bowl of cheerios then headed over to the table to eat breakfast with Paul. We finished breakfast rather fast, Heather just ate her cheerios and drank her milk while watching her cartoons.
"C'mon love," I called for Heather, "let's go get ye changed!"
"Ocean!"
I let out a laugh and picked her up then got her changed. Paul changed into his swim trunks and I slipped into my swimsuit.
"C'mon Paul!"
"Yeah, 'mon daddy!"
"I'm comin princess," he bent down and kissed her head. "Let's go."

Heather held my hand as we walked down to the beach. Paul put on his sun glasses and a hat, I did the same. Paul set down a blanket under an umbrella so we could relax. I went out into the ocean with Heather so she could play. She splashed me a lot and I laughed and went along with it.
Not a lot of people recognized me, just a few teenage girls who follow the Beatles.

"Heather honey, do ye wanna build a sand castle?"
"Yes!"
"Alright darlin, I'll be right back with a bucket, stay right there."
"Yes mummy."
I walked over to where Paul was sitting.
"Do ye want to play with Heather?" I asked while digging through the tote bag we brought down to the beach.
"No, its fine, ye two seem to be havin a great time together."
"Are ye sure?" I pulled a small bucket out of the bag.
"I'm sure love, go have fun."
"Alright, if ye say so."
I gave Paul a kiss on the cheek then we heard a blood curling scream coming from the ocean. Paul and I rushed over and saw someone holding Heather.
"WHAT HAPPENED!" I yelled.
"I-I-I am so sorry, my son pushed her and I guess she fell and choked on some water."
"IS SHE BREATHING!"
"I think so!"
"GIVE HER TO ME!"
Paul snatched Heather from the lady's arms and rushed to tell someone to call and ambulance. Once the ambulance was called it didn't take long for them to get down to the hotel. When we got to the hospital the doctors dealt with Heather and Paul just cradled me as I was crying. Eventually to doctors called us in.
"She got some kind poisoning from the water, she is still alive, doing fine with the breathing machine. She will be able to travel back to Liverpool in a few days, but I would take her to a doctor right away to get her some medicine."
"Alright." Paul said, trying his best to hold back his tears. I was crying into his chest while he held me close.

We traveled back to Liverpool and immediately went to the doctor. He said that she would be sick for a while, and that it'll be a miracle if she lives for more than a month.