Bonus Chapter

Jennie Pov

She held my hand, she held my heart and was moments away from holding her daughter.

I was holding hers too. Well, holding is sure an understatement telling from how her hand's colouration was now identical to my flushed cheeks. 

"I know nini, breathe." She murmured into my ear as we swayed our hips together in rhythm to the slow relaxing music. 

I had chosen natural birth from the options my doctor represented. No drugs. No herd of doctors. Just my wife, me and the two awaiting midwives preparing everything for when the time came. 

At home. 

From the moment I saw the two pink lines I knew I wanted to bring my baby to the world right where its whole existence started.  More specifically our bedroom was transformed to a birthing chamber . Everything I and the baby will need was neatly placed around the room ready to be used .

The two women were soothingly watching us with anticipation from their place on the couch along the far wall while I changed positions. 

Of course she was beside me every single second, being consistent to her vow "for better or for worst". She was my comfort, my support, my strength.

When I felt the first wave of pain, she was there and I knew she would be until the last. 

"Can I bring you something? Do you want me to put pressure on your back? You are sure you don't need help ?" Those questions were constantly being recited by Lisa.

In between the contractions I teased her about them. Her little so called- by me- labor poem.  "Ouch," was my repeating poem, cut to the point, along with sound effects such as groans and moans of pain. 

Unfortunately that covered only the first couple hours of my performance. The pain soon escalated followed by the volume of my voice and the 'quality' of my language. 

"Shit !", I exclaimed everytime a strong contraction started and changed position. 

Before all this I thought I was going to be the intepended- hiting and cursing my woman away- woman through the pain. But as another hurricane of bone crushing agony came I knew I was quite the opposite. 

"Help me," was all I needed to say- or rather whimper- and she was by me in a split second.

With careful movements, she helped me get onto my  hands and knees on the carpet and as I let my head hang I felt a cool cloth being placed on my lower back, pleasingly rubbing it. 

Soon my instict had guided me and I had sat up on my knees, my head resting back against my wife's chest, one of her hands on my round stomach and other squeezed mine bringing me back to the present. 

"That's perfect. Breathe and sway." She said in a hushed voice. My knees started to ache from all my weight on them. And my back hurt pretty bad. It was excruciating. It was... 

"Wow, my love, are you finished? " She looked shocked and I think I know why. 

"I didn't pee myself, lili." I could feel the liquid pooling around my legs and was sure I had full control over my bladder. 

"Is this your... water?" She looked even more shocked."Does that mean ...?" 

"You're going to be a mother very soon." Jihyo, who must've noticed the sign of progress from her seat clasped a hand on each of our shoulders, a gesture of promise. A promise I hope is kept. 

It was my turn to get shocked as I felt a strange sensation in my lower stomach accompanied by a sharp pain. And an urge. 

"Uhhhh... I want to push!" I didn't care I was soaking wet, all I focused on from now on was the unbearable pain.  After three sets of synchronised widen eyes, everybody got a hold on themselves and moved with lightning speed. 

"Get her on the bed." Jihyo ordered.

Lisa was all business. She raised me bridal style off the floor and placed me on the medical sheets arranged at the end of the bed. My hands were still around her neck, desperately grasping it. 

"This is it, my love. Anytime now we are going to be parents. I love you." She kissed each of my hands, love clear on her face and finally stationed herself behind me for support. I was between her legs and ironically I could feel our daughter making her way between mine. 

"It hurts!" I squezzed my eyes shut. Both the midwives helped me get rid of the article of clothing blocking my daughter's view of the outside world. 

"You are ready? One, two, three and push!" With teeth clenched, I felt the baby moving inside me. 

"That's it baby," she whispered and interlaced her fingers with my slippery ones.  "Take a deep breath and push."

Wheein wiped some sweat running down my forehead while Jihyo - cautiously between my legs- stared with sympathy in her eyes and patted my knee. 

Sooner then I expected, I felt the infamous burning sensation ... and screamed.  "

Please, it's burning. Take her out." I crocked out. My wife kissed my head in comfort and I prepared for more pushing. 

"I can see her head! Keep that up." It was a comment filled with hope. We were near the end, maybe a breath away from meeting our baby girl.

"When the next contraction comes, you give me a little push and pant. OK?"  The only thing I managed was a nod as the pain came. The pressure and fire down there build and I grasped my wife's thigh to get me through the pain. 

"It burns." I cried out, tears blearing my vision. 

"Pant!" I panted through the pain like a dog. "You are doing great. A good part of the head is out." 

"I can feel that." I blew out. It felt as if somebody was riping me apart so I pushed without thinking. I needed for the pain to stop. I couldn't take it anymore. 

"Stop pushing and pant! You are going to tear the tissue down there. This should be done slowly." Wheein explained but it was pointless because I kept screaming and pushing with all my strength. 

"Baby calm down. You are going to hurt yourself. Squeeze my hand as much as you want." She looked at me, worry filling her eyes.

That made me stop and pant.  "He-who he-who," and pushed little by little. In nanoseconds, the burning reached its peak and then reduced.

"The whole head is out! Just one strong push and you'll have your baby. Ready?" Jihyo looked pleased but I wiped that off her face with my next words. 

"I can't. I just... can't." I was exhausted and I let my body relax back into my Lisa's. The pain had won making disappointment slip into me. 

"Give me your hands." Instructed Jihyo. We exchanged surprised looks and expanded our entangled hands. She took them and guided them between my legs.

There, I recognised the roundness of a tiny head under my hand. The surprise looks we exchanged before were nothing against these. 

"Our baby..." Lisa and I said in sync. 

"Brace yourself and when you feel the need push as hard as you can. Then you won't realise when she got into your arms." Wheein ensured me. 

"This is it, my love. Take my strength, it's yours." She looked at me with such passion in her eyes. The same passion this baby was made with. And with the same it came into the world. 

"PUSH!" Jihyo coaxed me. 

"UHHH...!" I curled my toes.

Wheein was right. A little pale buddle was cuddled instantly into my hands.

"She's beautiful," A voice said. Her head rested on my shoulder, her tears making my skin glisten. My own -already formed- tears escaped from my eyes.

" Thank you," was all I said and got lost in the sight in front of me.  Lisa did that too as I heard my daughter's first cry, certain it wouldn't be her last.

Zeph Jade Manoban.
04/01/2022