11

The childhood

Back 16 years ago

A six years old girl who lives in a mountain with her not-so cruel parents started to plant flowers when she is four years old.

Their neighbor, a boy whose age is eleven and his uncle that is age at the same as her father. The two children are very close to each other.

"What a beautiful garden, you have!" Howl said

"T-thank you" Elizabeth stuttered

Howl sat on the grass then admired the blue sky above him, Elizabeth sat beside him and did the same thing he did.

"Once we become a wizard and a witch, we will be called the most powerful duo!" Howl said

"I hope so, I'm scared I might fail.." Elizabeth replied

"No, it's alright. If you fail, I fail! If you pass, I pass!" Howl reassured

"B-but, you are great at everything! I'm sure Madame Sulliman will be disappointed on you failing because of me" Elizabeth reasoned out

Unknowing to the two children, Elizabeth's mother was watching them.

"Tsk. I will not let my daughter marry that kid! And let my daughter be outshined by that kid" Her mother mumble

The two children lay in the grass to get a better view of the peaceful and calming sky above them. The surrounding is very quiet, only bird chirping and wind chimes can be heard. 

Elizabeth grew to love nature , ever since she learned to speak, read and walk. She go and read and speak about nature, she wanders in nature too.

On the other hand, Howl just go with the flow of Elizabeth. Howl fitted his name after all he is very fond of birds, he grew to like birds because of Elizabeth too.

The two really get along with each other very well, like they were made for each other ever since they are born in this world. The only contrast is that, Howl is a quiet kid while Elizabeth is loud kid but the latter grew quiet when Howl is around though.

Night falls on the two children.

"See you tomorrow, Howell!" Elizabeth bid farewell

"See you tomorrow too, Eliza!" Howl replied back

The two children went back to their respective houses with their respective guardians waiting for them.

Her mother came forward with a scowl on her face.

"How many times, do I have to tell you that you need to study your magic! Not going out and play around with that kid!" Her mother said

"He's my friend!" Elizabeth replied

"You see him more than a friend though!" Her father butted in

"Starting from now on, you will not go and see that boy again!" Her mother forbids 

Elizabeth ran outside, crying. Asking herself on why her parents is so cruel to her, she did all they wanted yet they wanted more. She came into conclusion that she will never reach the expectations of her parents.

*thud*

Elizabeth bumped into Howl.

"Who made you cry?" Howl asked

"N-no one" Elizabeth lied through her sobs

"Your parents, they are back at it again." Howl said, sounding mad.

Elizabeth nodded.

It was not their first time doing this, first it was about her appearance and second is about her body. Elizabeth never became confident when she is around her parents.

"Look a falling star, I will catch it" Howl cheerfully said trying to cheer Elizabeth

Elizabeth smiled at the attempt and she nodded trying to see if Howl will succeed in catching the star.

Howl successfully caught the star but the odd thing is that it is talking. Elizabeth went to the location of the friend of hers.

"Eliza. This Calcifer and he is dying, he is a fire demon." Howl informed

"W-what?" Elizabeth is stunned to speak

"I will offer my heart to him and if he dies, I dies" Howl said

Elizabeth never found out what they talked about before she got here.

"O-okay, just promise me not to die" Elizabeth said to Calcifer

"I'm Elizabeth Windsor" Elizabeth said before Howl eat Calcifer to let him eat his heart

Howl let out a groan of pain as Calcifer take out his heart. Once Calcifer succeeded, Elizabeth comforted Howl.

"Howell, just be careful" Elizabeth said before hugging the boy

"I will, Eliza" Howl replied

Elizabeth felt a hand on her wrist then before she knows it, she was being dragged away.

"Howell! Come and fine me in the future! I promise to love you!" Elizabeth shouted

"I will, Eliza! I will love you!" Howl shouted back

Her parents dragged her away.

"We are leaving! Make our house disappear, dear. We are moving away" Her mother said to her and her father.

Their house in the mountain disappeared.

They moved away in the near town, where she later met Sophie.

Howl and Elizabeth exchanged letters through Elizabeth's tame dove. And they met always in Sulliman's class, which her parents don't know about.

Sulliman named Elizabeth the nature witch due to her love for the nature and her spells being related to the nature.

One day, Howl and Elizabeth are talking to each other while eating on the bench.

*gasp*

"So you are meeting Howl in secret!" Her mother exclaimed

"M-mother!" Elizabeth said while she being dragged away

Howl tried to use his spell but was stopped by Madame Sulliman.

"W-why did you stop me?" Howl asked

"Because I said so." Sulliman replied

Howl run away from the class with him confessing about the demon and never showing up again.

Elizabeth was locked up for 3 days in her bedroom.

"It's time for you to forget" Her mother said before casting a spell on her

Elizabeth fell into slumber.

Elizabeth's memories were blurry, it was nothing but a blur.

When the girl woke up, she is alone and her house is simple yet empty in family feeling.

The girl stayed in the house for a week and only going out when she needed to buy supplies for her.

She asked herself whether if she was a witch or not?

5 years later

*thud*

Elizabeth whose age is sixteen bump into a girl whose age is twelve.

"Oh! I'm very sorry" Elizabeth replied

"It's okay!" The girl replied

"I'm Sophie Hatter and you are?" Sophie asked

"I'm Elizabeth Windsor" Elizabeth replied

Her name was written into her cabinet and on her house entrance.

"Can we be friends?" Sophie asked

"We can" Elizabeth replied

Their friendship bloom along with her friendship with Lettie who is the younger sister of Sophie.

Everything started here, in her painful past.