This Young Man Jack Is a Hero

April 11th, 1912- 1:10pm

I woke up from my nap with dried tears on my face. I got up and went into the bathroom. I hadn't changed my dress before bed, and now it was wrinkled. I sniffled, splashed water on my face, and went to change into my next evening dress. It was a velvet-y deep purple. 

I put on painful matching heels and walked out of my stateroom, with the intent of finding my family. Instead, I found Jack. "Y/n! Y/n! Come here!" He said. I was forced to ignore him and I kept walking towards the dining room. Confused, he stopped following me and stood alone.

I arrived at the dining room, although I didn't want to be there. I sat down unwilling to talk to anyone. 

"Good afternoon, y/n." My mother said without looking to me.

"Hello." I said quietly.

"Remember not to talk to your boyfriend!" Delaney said, tauntingly. I didn't respond and merely sniffled.

"Delaney, that will be enough of that." Said my father.

I didn't drink any of my tea and instead laid my head on my palm (that was, until my mother told me to get my elbow off the table). 

Mother and father tried to whisper to each other, but Delaney tried to lean in and I could hear them as clear as day. 

"Andrea, I don't necessarily think taking her away from Jack is a good punishment."

"It's not a punishment, Chandler. I don't want her talking to a 3rd class boy."

"You cannot say you value her happiness if you restrict her from a friend."

My mother didn't respond and instead went back to drinking her tea. My father looked at me with sorrow. 

An hour later, my family decided to leave. As we walked over to the rail, I leaned over too far and tripped. Before I could fall into the deep yet beautiful ocean, Jack pulled me back up. I stood in shock for 5 seconds, and then thanked him. My family watched, confused on what had just happened, and my mother rushed over.

Grabbing me, she shouted "Y/n, I thought I told you-"

I did something I had never done before. I interrupted her. "Mother, Jack saved me. I think I should be allowed to talk to him again."

Jack looked at me, surprised, since I hadn't told him about the new rule. Mother backed up. She had no reply. My father stepped forward silently. I was afraid of what he would do, but the feeling went away as I watched him shake Jack's hand.

"Well, it seems this young man Jack is a hero."

"Thank you, sir." I could tell he was nervous.

"Say, would you like to join us for dinner this evening?"

"Yes, sir. Thank you."

"You can call me Mr. y/l/n."

I watched as my aggravated mother led Delaney away. I smirked to myself.

"Well, I trust we'll see you tonight?"

"Of course, Mr. y/l/n. Thank you!"

My father and I went back to our stateroom together. I was going to get ready for dinner. I looked back and waved at Jack just before we went down the staircase.