This Sketch of You

April 10th, 1912- 4:13pm

I got ready in my evening dress and delicate heels. The dress was a stunning light green, my favorite. I made sure to reserve my best dress for the first evening on the ship. My sister and I stepped out of our bedroom and got our clutch purses ready to go. 

When our family got to the dining room, we were astounded. The shining white marble was nothing in comparison to the golden pillars stationed in corners around the room. The smell of lobster wafted throughout the hall as other families sat down. Since supper was served at 5, we had to wait a good 30 minutes to eat. When the food came, it was worth it, because it was the best taste I had ever experienced before. The ship as a whole payed attention to detail and safety, more than I could ever imagine. I had fallen in love with the lifestyle in only the 4 hours I had been there. As I continued to eat, I saw many people pass by the windows. 3rd class passengers, 1st class, and some 2nd class that had decided not to come to dinner tonight. I finished the 3 course meal quickly, and asked to be excused to look at the ocean again. since it was sunset, the water and sky were much prettier than they had been at noon. 

I was enjoying myself at the rail when Jack walked up to me.

"Hey there, y/n. Glad to see you again."

"Hello, Jack." I said calmly.

"Uh- what're you doing, shouldn't you be eating or something?" He was confused.

I looked at Jack. He was much taller than me. "Yes, but I finished early. I came out to look at the ocean." 

He sat on a bench. "Oh?"

"I have loved the ocean since I was little. Now, I'm 16, and that passion hasn't gone away."

Jack and I continued the conversation for many minutes until he got off the bench and stood next to me.

Solemnly, he said: "Passion's never really been a factor in my life. Other than art. When my folks died I took it up." 

"That's terrible, I'm very sorry."

"What, my art?" Jack joked again.

I smiled. "No, about your parents."

"It's good you weren't talking about my drawings. This sketch of you would've been for nothing." 

He handed a mono-chromatic picture to me. It was a drawing of me standing at the rail. I smiled very wide, and I could tell he was happy. 

"Jack, this... this is beautiful!"

"Thanks. I've drawn everything in this." He blushed.

Tucked into his shirt was a brown leather book. He took it out and showed me his other drawings, modeled by real women. Many of them were nude.

He noticed my reaction. "Yeah, that's the good thing about Paris. The girls are pretty willing to take their clothes off."

I couldn't imagine taking my clothes off for a stranger, but if these girls really didn't care, then who am I to judge. I continued to flip through the detailed drawings.

"Oh, hold on..." He took the book back and tore out the sketch of me. "Here, so you can remember me after we dock."

"I surely won't forget you, Jack- but we still have 4 more days! Plenty of time to see each other."

"Then you might wanna keep that somewhere safe, don't want it to get all crumpled."

Jack looked as I carefully folded and stuffed the paper into the chest of my gown. He smiled. 

"I'd say that's pretty safe."

"Yeah. Me too."

As we both laughed, I heard my family call me over. We were going back to our stateroom. As I walked away, Jack waved goodbye to me. I happily smiled and waved back. I hoped to see him again tomorrow.

I went to bed that night smiling and thinking of the ocean.