The Watched and the Listening pt 2 - (Angst - Joe)

AN: before I get started absolutely massive shout out to KitKatExists for the amazing art work she did which is now currently my profile picture. Go shower them with some love <3

Also massive shout out to That_One_Girl_LOL and Star for their amazing artwork as well! Go check it out in their art book <3

TW: I feel like there should be but I can't think of any, so let me know if you see one. It has a happy-ish ending though :)

(I basically just rewrote this entire story after going back to edit it last night and realizing that I legit didn't remember writing half of it. I'm much happier with it now though :))

Joe POV-

A scream echoed behind me as I twist to see Grian attempting to escape from Tango's grip, giving me flashbacks to the first time we met him. The constant 'who are you' 'where am I' 'who am I' had me in shock.

Grian lost his memory again.

This was not good. Not good at all.

I needed to get in contact with Notch and to give him a report. But what was I supposed to tell him? That this young blond man who could barely remember his own name worked for the watchers?

I reach up to my ear to open my player stats and to transfer myself to the world hub, but Xisuma stopped me before I could, gently laying a hand on my arm. "What are you?"

I look up at him, "you wouldn't quite understand in the time I have."

"Joe. You've transported through the code, somehow knew what Pearl and I were talking about, and brought down the freaking moon!" X seemed extremely concerned as he watched me. Grian was still fighting Tango and Mumbo off to the side, but had calmed down significantly as they told him about his past.

"I'm a listener," I look down at my feet. This was supposed to be top secret, but here I was telling X.

"What?" I glance back up, X's eyes scanning my face through his visor. "What is a listener?"

Right, no one knows about us. I bite the inside of my cheek, trying to figure out how to explain it but we were interrupted by Scad jogging over to us. "What on earth happened?"

A couple Hermits chimed in, all just as confused as X began explaining the situation with the Watchers. Most Hermits' were wide eyed by the end while Pearl was once again bawling her eyes out, muttering words like "no again" "anything but this" "I can't take it". Gem was comforting her.

Off to the side, stood Grian. He was shaking slightly as Xisuma told the story. I walked over to him, the sun light of the new world gently hitting my eyes.

"It's all my fault," Grian stuttered and tears welled up in his eyes, "and I don't even remember."

I embraced him and let him cry into my shoulder, watching around me as the Hermits began to disperse. Xisuma has asked everyone to stay close back in case of emergency and before long, people were claiming small plots of land to begin building in.

But Grian just continued to sob. Mumbo and Tango came by often and Scar come over once or twice. But I just stayed with him as he cried and as he fell asleep.

——————

"Joe?" X's voice was soft and as I looked over towards it, I could see him holding a bed. The mattress was lumpy and the blanket small, but as he place the mattress down, I lifted the small blond in my arms into it. It want the best, but better than my arms or the rock floor.