Chapter 16

I know I shouldn't be so easy on Rosa. I'm sure if any rational person looked at our relationship for too long they might lose their mind.

I love her, I truly do. And most times when she fucks up, she apologizes very nicely. But herein lies the issue.

At the end of the day, she's Luca and Antonio's little cousin. There's only so much I can do, that I can say, when it comes to her. And I can't just toss her aside and call it quits because this marriage, our marriage, needs to work. If it doesn't, we might all wind up dead.

But I never want her to be afraid of me. I refuse to be like my father; an absolute tyrant both in business and in the home. I'll never forget the things he used to say to my mother. I'll never forget wiping her blood off the floor when he was done beating her. And the scars that cover my back won't let me forget the way he used to beat me.

So I don't yell at her or put my hands on her. I don't bring her faults to the public eye. Hell, I barely even curse at the woman.

I guess Sergio made me who I am today if I really think about it. I don't raise my voice. I only fight when it's necessary. I am fiercely protective of the people I care about. And I keep my violent side to myself. I don't want anyone that I care about to be afraid of me. Especially Rosa.

Which is why when she acts up, like she did the other day, I'm at an utter loss.

Hopping on a jet to go half way across the world isn't an option anymore. Fucking a maid in her room isn't an option anymore.

I need to find a way to keep that woman in check.

A knock on the door pulls me from my thoughts and I call out, "entra."
(Come in)

Rocco steps into the office and closes the door behind him. He looks like most of the men, slicked back brown hair and a fitted suit, but it's the funniest thing that sets him apart. He doesn't have a single tattoo, at least none that are visible. It makes him seem almost kinder, like he hasn't experienced the hell our world has to offer. He slowly approaches the desk and hesitates before sitting down.

"You asked to see me," he says.

"I did," I reply, "do you understand the responsibility I'm asking you to take on?"

"As your consigliere?" he asks for clarification and I nod.

"I understand," he says firmly, sitting a bit straighter in his seat, "I am to be to you, what you were to Luca. An advisor that handles it when things get messy."

"Correct," I say, leaning my forearms on the smooth wood, "but discretion is important to me. Even if you have to slaughter a dozen men, it needs to be done quietly and quickly."

"Understood," he nods curtly.

"You can relax, you know?" I say, offering him a smile, "nothing bad is going to happen if you speak to me like you always have. Just because I've taken over doesn't mean I've changed that much."

"Sorry," he says with a light chuckle, "I always feel like I'm being called into the principals office when I'm up here."

"Don't," I reply quickly, "this is my office but you're going to find yourself here often."

"I know," he nods, adding, "I gave the kids new guards."

"Who?" I question, grabbing a pen and a piece of paper. I asked him to pick his replacement the other day and I'm glad he was able to do so this quickly.

"Bruno is looking after Lorenzo," he starts, "Michael is with Elle, and Matteo is with both Alice and Catarina."

Assigning a guard to each kid; smart.

"Good work," I tell him as I scribble down the names. Rocco might trust them but you can never be too careful. I'll have Antonio look into them later.

"There's a council meeting this Sunday," I tell him as I lean back in my chair, "I want you to come with me."

"Really?" Rocco asks, eyes wide.

"Sì," I reply, "it will be good for you to see how the other families run. These meetings are rare so whatever the issue is must be important."

"Sir," he says, "I don't know how much help I will be. I've never been on this side of the operations."

"You'll likely be the youngest person there," I say, "that's a good thing. You have fresh eyes, fresh ideas. The other Don's will try to provoke you, so don't let them. This is a chance for you to prove that you deserve the title I've given you."

"I understand," he replies and I sigh. He's so formal, it's exhausting.

"I need you to call Patrice and have her bring gowns over," I say and he nods.

I'm going to need to bring Rosa with me. It's a part of the tradition; a Don does not stand without a Regina. And I know she's going to want to go shopping the second I tell her. But it's still far too dangerous so the least I can do is bring the dresses to her.

"Fredo called," Rocco says, "should I have him bring the selection over as well?"

"Yeah," I sigh. Cazzo. I completely forgot about her ring and she sure as shit needs to be wearing it on Sunday.

"One last thing," Rocco says and I furrow my brow. He looks truly uncomfortable right now, looking down and shifting in his seat.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Luca's still not back," he says cautiously.

"And?" I push it. Luca's been mowing the Sinaloa's down at the border. We've only lost five men while they have lost dozens. It may not solve this war, but dwindling their numbers makes them vulnerable. Easier to attack.

"Victoria esce dall'ospedale domani," he says and my face drops.
(Victoria gets out of the hospital tomorrow)

"Cazzo," I groan, tilting my head back.

"Antonio is supposed to pick her up at noon," he adds.

"No," I say sternly, looking at him, "no, you need to be the one to get her. Bring her right here to the office, no detours."

"Understood," he says firmly, "I'm going to go make those calls."

I nod once and he stands from his chair, smoothing out his suit. He turns on his heel and silently leaves the room.

Bringing Rocco in as my consigliere was a good move. He's smart and to the point. I wasn't lying when I said him being young would be a benefit to us. Not only that but it's going to throw the Galvanize and Franchesci's off.

I have no doubt that he's going to pass this little test, but we can only wait and see.

But I completely forgot about Victoria. Not that she exists, just that her hospital stay is coming to a close. I hope whatever the hell it is they do there has helped her. Because when I tell her the truth tomorrow, she's going to be livid.