Chapter 10

Fuck me. Absolutely, fuck me.

"Luca is helping Antonio sort out a few things," I reply carefully.

Victoria narrows her eyes, "Really?"

"Yeah," I nod, only half lying, "he finally decided to ask for help."

"And why are my kids living at the compound?" she questions.

"Just an extra precaution," I shrug in response.

"For what?" she pushes it.

I take in a sharp breath before replying, "Don't play dumb Vic."

She knows we're at war; she just doesn't know the full extent of it. At least not yet.

"Was there an attack?" she asks, eyes going wide, "Were my children attacked?"

"No," I insist, "it's just a precaution."

"You better not be lying to me," she says sternly.

It's time to choose; die by Luca's hand or Victoria's. She's going to find out the truth eventually, I just need to make sure I'm not around when she does. I'd much rather face her wrath than that of her husband. Especially when he's in this state.

I take a deep breath before lying, "I would never."

She turns her attention back to her daughter. For a few minutes the only sounds in the room are the machines beeping and whirring. I shift in the uncomfortable seat and reposition my gun so it's not digging into my back.

"Where's Rosa?" she breaks the silence.

"At the compound," I reply quickly, "why?"

"How are things going with you two?" she asks, "Are the wedding bells ready?"

"We're going to get married in a few weeks," I tell her, "I'm going to push it off until you're better."

"You don't have to do that," she counters, shaking her head.

"Yes I do," I tell her firmly.

She turns back to a sleeping Elle and pushes hair out of her face, "Gio?"

"Yeah?"

"What are Antonio and Luca doing?" she asks, finally turning to look at me.

"Just business," I reply as I stand and approach the bed, "I think it's time for us to go."

Victoria kisses Elle's cheeks before giving me a nod. I lift Elle into my arms and her head rests on my shoulder. Vic sits up in the bed and her brows are furrowed as she looks at me. Tears begin to rim her eyes and I feel a pang of guilt.

"Please just tell me what's going on," she practically whispers.

"Nothings going on," I tell her, even as my gut tells me not to lie, "nothing that you need to worry about."

"I don't believe you," she says quietly.

"If you don't believe me then ask your husband," I say.

I can't sit here and keep feeding her lies. It's just wrong. If Luca wants to keep her in the dark he can do it his goddamned self.

"Please don't let anything happen to them," she says, "please."

"Nothing is going to happen to them," I tell her with full certainty. We've been at war before and there have always been kids around.

Our men know to protect them with their lives because if they don't, they'll wish they were fucking dead. Everyone loves these kids; Elle's been known to make even the toughest of men crack and smile. They'll be protected.