Chapter 20

Warning: smut

I'm going to throw up. I swear to God, I'm going to throw up. I don't know why I'm so nervous right now. Marrying Rosa isn't an option, really, so it's not like she's going to say no. But I've been in love with her since I first learned what that word meant and I want this to be perfect. I don't want Rosa to think that I don't give a shit because trust me, I really fucking do.

The cliff is completely set up. A white clothed table with two chairs sits front and center. Our dinners are there, covered by metal domes, with a bottle of wine in some ice. Roses line the area with small white candles. I even threw on some extra cologne.

I hear the tires of a car pull up and I turn quickly. Rocco climbs out of the front seat and rounds the car. He offers me a wink and a thumbs up before opening the back seat.

Rosa steps out in a form fitting black dress. My jaw goes slack as I look her over. Dainty pearl strands serve as the straps and she looks around with furrowed brows. Rocco points at me and her eyes widen.

"Ciao, mia amore," I grin, even as my hands shake.
(Hello, my love)

"Giovanni," she says with a smile, "what is all of this?"

"Come," I reply simply, holding out my hand.

She carefully navigates the grassy area and I scold myself for letting her wear heels. She takes my hand in hers and I lead her over to the table. I pull out her chair and she takes a seat before I do the same.

"What's going on?" she asks with a light laugh.

I ignore her question in favor of opening the bottle of wine. It's her favorite and I had to pull a few strings to get the bottle. I pour each of us a glass and raise my cup. She raises hers as well and I smile.

"To having you at my side, forever," I say and we clink glasses.

I lift the domes off of the plates and she gasps. Her eyes flick from her plate to me and back. I bite the inside of my cheek to hold in my laughter. The absolute joy on her face as she looks down at the chicken nuggets reminds me of our first date up here.

"You got my favorite," she exclaims.

"Of course," I reply, chuckling, "anything for my girl."

She does a little happy dance in her seat before digging into her meal. The incessant thudding of my heart in my ears drives my appetite away. But I can't help my grin as I watch her. She happily sips her wine once she's full and I take a sip as well.

I carefully pull the small velvet box from my pocket and turn it over in my hands. This is it.

I rise from my seat only to drop to my knee beside her. Rosa's eyes go wide and she gasps as I open the box. My hands are trembling and I take a deep breath.

"Rosalina, I've been in love with you since we were children," I start as tears prick the corners of my eyes, "you are smart and beautiful and cunning and kind. It's always been you. You're the only person I want to spend my life with. I want to have children with you; grow old and wrinkly with you. Rosalina DiSilva, will you please marry me?"

"Of course," she exclaims. I slide the ring onto her finger and let out a breath of relief. She nods frantically as tears fill her eyes.

Rosa takes my face in both hands and slams her lips against mine. My one hand finds the back of her neck and I kiss back with equal fervor. Her tongue swipes my lip and I gladly grant access. Our tongues caress as our lips mould together.

I'm not sure who breaks the kiss but I rest my forehead against hers as I regain my breath. When I finally pull back, Rosa smiles at me.

"I love you so much, Gio," she says softly.