A poisoned apple, a poisoned heart

"Where is she?" Snow screamed, half deranged with panic and fear. She paced the room, hands clutching her hair desperately.

"I don't know, my love," the mirrored man replied in a calm, even tone. No emotion shows on his impassive face, but inside he trembles with impatience. The audacity of the girl! As if she could command him to do anything, or hold him responsible for what she had eroded in.

"Well, find her!" Snow turned to him, eyes wide with a momentary softness, looking for the entire world like a startled doe at a hunter's rifle. " She can't escape us! My father will suspect, or worse, she will come back with her pretty little tale, bat her lashes at him, and I'll be sent to the dungeon!" She sank to the ground, head in her hands.

" Do not fret, my love. What of the hunter you sent to kill her? He's sure to have an idea of where she's gone." Snow chuckled, standing there awkwardly.

" Yes, about that... I got a little carried away with him..." she wrung her hands, head down. Inside, HE fumed, but his voice betrayed nothing.

"Well, I suppose I could find her one way or another. Do you have something of hers? Perhaps a book?" She perked up, an idea crossing her mind.

"She has a private library she goes to often. I'm sure I'll find something in there." Snow hurried off, back turned to the mirror.

HE muttered, "imbecile," quietly to himself, grinding his teeth. No matter. Only a few more days and the spell would die, and he could quietly dispose of the royal family. He would be restored to his rightful place upon the throne, one that he had been so close to 16 years ago. It's a miracle that the girl hadn’t wondered who killed her mother- she would know soon.

While he was thinking, the girl came back, holding a thick, dusty volume in one hand. " I found one!" She says, her face lighting up like a child.

"Excellent. Now, pass it through the mirror." Snow stretches out her hand, penetrating to silvery mirror surface. Her hand disappears up to her elbow, until she retracts it, now empty-handed. Inside the mirror, the man now holds the book in his hands. He turns the pages, searching for a hair. Inside, he finds a long, blond lock tucked between the pages. He smiles, satisfied. He sets the hair aside to use later, looking at the spell on the page. Upon reading it, he smiles sinisterly. Underneath his fingers lay the words, "How to poison an apple." He looks up at Snow, who's looking at him as a dog might look to its master. Indeed, underneath the "love" and sweet words, that's what he was. Her master.

" Snow, would you be willing to do something for me?" He asks her, already knowing the answer. She nods before he even finishes speaking.

"Yes, of course!" He smiles condescendingly at her, mind already on his future, glorious reign as king.

" How do you feel about... apples?"