A wedding to remember

Ruby eyed her reflection anxiously in the gleaming mirror, chewing on a strand of hair. Her gleaming emerald eyes flashed in nervousness. Her porcelain skin was flushed, cheeks a delicate pink.. Her long, shiny raven hair was meticulously piled on her head in the style of the day, held up with pins that poked and bit her head, giving her a headache.

She twirled, glancing at her wedding dress one last time. The dress was the one thing she was happy about in this whole affair. The dress was full skirted, a delicate cream color. It had no sleeves, lacy exterior flowing down her body. In it she felt… beautiful. 

She chewed nervously on her plump red lip, fingers caressing the diamond choker she wore. Worrying up until she was called to join the thousands massed just outside, waiting excitedly for the next queen of their prosperous kingdom to be crowned.

Her bridegroom was a cold man, one who she was certain she could never-and would never- love, or feel affection for. Castle life was one she could not get used to, a busy hive of activity that seemed to never actually involve Ruby's opinion and thoughts. She had heard a few of the castle maids gossiping about the " simple queen". When she had walked in on them, inwardly fuming, they had gaped at her, mouth's open like floundering fish.

The day was a joyous occasion for her soon to be subjects, the loyal people of whom she had been one. What she would not give to be back among them, to have plain features, a loving husband, and a small plot of land on which to build a family on. Indeed, the day was a happy occasion- for all but her.

She thought back to her old life, which she had left behind her when she became engaged. Her mother, fading into the background- her father, chopping wood at her old home- her brother, growing up too fast- overwhelmed by memories, she bowed her head, tears threatening to spill out. She wondered how her family was holding up without her- was they eating enough, playing outside? Would Caleb remember to help Gina, the youngest, learn to walk? No, Ruby, don't think like that, she scolded herself. They're fine. Focus now on your wedding. Wouldn't want to mess THAT up.

" Ruby! Come! The people are waiting for you!" The harsh voice of her new lady-in-waiting(whose name she had never learned) startled her out of her reverie. She cursed under her breath, quickly blotting away her tears. She swept her full skirts of her white lace wedding dress from under her black satin flats, careful not to damage the delicate material.

"Coming!" She called back in response, rising to go. With a profound, indescribable sadness, Ruby looked back one last time upon her innocent face.

She drew a deep breath and walked towards the end of her life of freedom and the beginning of her duty to her kingdom.

--

Ruby lived for ten years in the castle, long enough to learn to love her husband. He also lives with her long enough to fall in love, to soften his ice-like demeanor and turn into a loving husband and father. They had one child, a lovely little girl. Her hair was black as night, her skin was as white as snow, and her lips were as red as blood.

They lived a happy life until the girl was a year old. A mysterious man, whos face was darkened by shadow, murdered the queen one night. At her funeral, the king saw a mourner and fell in love with her instantly. He married her after six weeks, the appropriate mourning period.

No one had ever seen her before- it was widely assumed that she was a foreigner who had only known the queen from afar. None but the new queen and the dead queen knew whom she really was- Ruby's sister. And the child, you ask? Her name was Snow. Snow White.