Chapter Fifteen

Dean left me confused and embarrassed standing in the bathroom. I wasn't sure what to do now, how to react. What he had done, for the second time now, was horrible but then why did my body like it? I cleaned myself again and put my clean clothes in a bag. They weren't dry yet but as I was touching them, the heat from my fingers let the water evaporate. Small magic like that barely taxed me but anything that involved force was very tiring.

When I came down the stairs the others were already waiting. James was pacing around and Dean and Mya were leaning against the car.

"There you are," James exclaimed when he saw me. "Why have we been trying to preserve time yesterday, just for you to take all fucking night to get ready?" Without waiting for an answer he walked to the car and got in. I slowly followed and tried to wrestle down the urch to scream at James again. Obviously it wasn't my fault, that it all took longer. James is no idiot, he knows what had happened and was probably trying to get back at me for yelling at him. Ignoring him would be best.

Mya also vanished into the darkness of the car and only Dean was left standing outside, bathed in moonlight. I made my way over to the car but flinched back when he reached for the car door. He chuckled and opended it for me, again. My hesitation caused James to groan loudly: "Lets go, stop staling."

I avoided Deans eyes as I got in. Shortly after, James was stearing the car on the main road. It was quiet and continued to be for the next hour. No one said a word. Dean starred out of the window, his face an emotionless mask. His silence caused James to look at him more often than usual and at me too. Mya watched all of us with confusion. She had probably heard what had happened between me and Dean and seemed unsure what to make of it. 

The silence was broken by her exclaiming: "Stop the car. Thats it, thats the SUV he drove off in."

James brought the car to a screeching halt. At the side of the road stood a big, silver vehicle. It looked abandoned at first but then I saw movement from inside it. Seconds later James was already at the car, ripping the door open and grabbing whoever or whatever was inside. Dean was now next to him brought the shadow with one punch to the ground.

"C'mon," Mya mumbled and we got out of the car.

The voice that had started to beg for life sounded young and male. When I stepped next to James I could make out with one glance, that he was a human. Most likely one of Caines minions, who hoped he would turn them into vampires if they served him long enough.

"Please don't kill me. I swear I'm not with him anymore. He just left me here because he needed someone to deliver a message. He would've killed me otherwise." He sounded genuinly scared and afraid for his life. I almost turned away, seeing someone so frightented was painful.

"And what message are you supposed to deliver," Dean asked in his voice that was reserved for humans. A mixture of condesending, threatening and amused.

"I-I am supposed to tell you, that Caine can't wait to see you again a-and that he awaits you at the Underground." He stammered and his eyes darted between James and Dean, seemingly trying to figure out who was the bigger threat.

"The Underground," James said confused," since when does he reside in the Underground? He's not very popular there."

The Undergound was a whole city build underneath what once was Las Vegas. It was the first of its kind but no longer the only. Since the vampires can't handle sunlight, their solution was to build a city underground. But Caine was not one of the vampires involved and not really welcome anywhere, since he is so unpredictable. Vampires may be cruel but they do not like it when a blood thirsty maniac comes to their city and muders all their blood supply.

"I always thought, he stayed at one of the old airports," I said and looked to James for assurance. He nodded.

"Thats what I tought too. Maybe it's a ruce, to confuse us." Silence followed. Everyone seemed to turn the possibilty over in their heads until Dean said:

"We could just split and go to both places. If he is at one of them we'll alert the others and take him down. Would be quicker than to run all over town together." It did not escape my notice, that he looked at me when he suggested splitting up.

"What if he gets his hands on only one of us," James asked but he sounded intriuged.

"He won't. We'll just check to see if he's there and inside the city is cell service. So we would be able to call and move quickly. I mean it's also possible that he is neither in the Underground or at the airport. Just saying, I don't wanna waste anymore time."

Deans newly found eagerness for saving time worried me a little. A few days ago he hadn't mentioned it at all. But as of late he was very intent on it. Everyone was quiet and looked at James. He would have to decide.

"All right," he finally said and turned to Dean," I suppose you want to take Mae, so that leaves Mya and me. We'll go to the Underground, because I don't think bringing a human there would be a good idea."

"I mean, she is barely human but whatever you want. I'm happy with the airport," Dean answered while walking over to me. They hadn't asked Mya or me what we thought of the idea but her silence indicated her approval.

"What if we find him and he realizes it before we can call you," I intervened. "Last time shit hit the fan when Dean and I were fighting alone."

"Yes but this time you are much more prepared, aren't you," Dean pointed out while putting his arm around my shoulders. "All that resting, doing nothing and being of little to no use must've done something for your powers, right?" He smirked down at me, baring his fangs. "And if we don't want them to, they won't find us.

I was not the least bit relieved but the chance of me convincing them not to split up was non exsitent. James would probably think, that my reluctance only stemed from not wanting to be alone with Dean. But it was more than that. Before I had joined them, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to live anymore. But being so close to death for so many times had convinced me otherwise. As horrible as it was sometimes, I knew what to expect from life. But I had no idea what was going to come after...

"So are we gonna go now?" Mya asked.

"Yes," James answered. "Dean, you can have the car. It's not that far to the Underground anymore and Mya and I can run. Be good to our little girl, now she can prove, that she actually is useful, right?" He gave me a wink before turning away.

Suddenly Dean and I were alone. Only the dust that had been whirled up by their running was a reminder of them.

"Well, what are you waiting for Princess? Get in the car."

The poor guy, was just left behind.