Chapter Six

I tried to push Dean away but that did not have the slightest effect on him. He kept me close to his body for a few more moments, probably just to demonstrate how helpless I was. When he finally let go, I quickly stumbled away from him.

"You're sick," I whispered before turning around and hurrying after James. 

He had already went inside, seeming unconcerned with running into the Liveless. And why should he? Right now, he probably hoped that something would attack him, so that he could let out his rage and it would take him next to no effort, to rip the head of a Liveless. I, on the orther hand, was a little bit more nervous. Sure, I could fight a Liveless, one at a time. The problem with that is, that the they rarely are alone. They travel in packs or groups or whatever you want to call it. Even though they may not be human anymore, but they aren't stupid. Their instincts tell them, that their strenght lies in numbers. In the beginnig I had still scrupel killing them. After all they used to be human.

Used to be.

I could sense Dean approaching and I decided that I'd rather face whatever was inside, then wait for him to come near me again. 

The inside of the store was pitch black and it took me a few moment before my eyes had adjusted. I could see rows and rows of shelfs, which all looked empty. Carefully scanning my surroundings, I moved forward. The air felt stuffy and it was strangely hot inside. Probably because the sun had been bruning down on this steel monstrosity all day, turning it into an oven. Sweat was forming on my forehead and for a moment I wondered what that weird, pounding noise was, until I realized, that it was my heart. 

Then I heard it. 

A loud roaring, followed by a yowl. Pressing myself against one of the shelves, I could hear James cursing somewhere in the dark. I pulled the gun I was carrying out of my boot and readied myself for an attack. An eternity seemed to go by until I heard shuffeling feet near me, accompanied by a low growl. Now or never, I thought and jumped out of the isle. 

Opposite me stood a creature that, in the widest sense, could be described as human-looking. Its skin was greyish and clung to its bones like wax. The eyes that were starring at me were a milky white and seemed to have retracted deep within its skull. I was almost happy, that it was so dark, because most rabids seen in full light, cause vomiting. 

Without hesitation I fired two shoots into its forehead, which caused it to topple over. I quickly grabbed a steel rod on the floor and leaped forward to bang it on the creatures head. But I was too slow, it had already rolled over. You might think shots to the head would kill those things but most of the time they are able to survive another hour or so. A clawlike hand wrapped itself around my ankle and I let out a shriek. With all my strenght I smashed the steelrod on the arm that was grabbing me and I heard a cracking sound followed my a bloodcurdeling howl. It let go of me and I didn't waste any time. Fueled by fear and disgust I bashed on the rabids head until it had cracked several times. But before I could even catch my breath, something grabbed me from behind and sent me hurdling towards the ground.

I hit my head on one of the shelves and a sharp pain started to throb in my head. The Liveless leaped after me and I just manged to turn on my back in time to keep it from burying its fangs in the back of my neck. Without the steelrod or my gun there was only one option left, after that I wouldn't be able to fight anymore.  With a desperate scream I let out the last of my powers. 

Blue fire hit the Liveless directly in the chest and sent it flying down the hall and crashing into the wall were it slmped down motionless. An incedible pain ripped through my chest and knocked the air out of my lungs. I wanted to scream but all I managed was a quiet groan. My stomach cramped and I knew what would happen. The black, bitter tasting liquid was already filling my mouth before I was able to prob myself up on my hands. I threw up on the floor and my hands until the horrible cramps stopped. Rolling back onto my back, I closed my eyes. Whatever would be coming now, I could not fight it.